Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Naive consumer

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I guess everybody else knew not to do this, but I learned the hard
way. Needed a new answering machine (actually didn't; just wanted
one with more room for incoming message). Looked on-line; found most
recommendations for low-end AT&T model, just what I wanted.

Ordered it from a place called "On-Line Fulfillment". $37.95,"free"
shipping. When it arrived, was defective. Called them for a return
shipping label.

Hah! That's how they get suckers like me.

1. They will deduct their original shipping cost

2. Plus they deduct 15% for return.

3. I pay return shipping - $8.++ plus hassle of repacking.

Will end up, if lucky, with the same amount that AT&T charges on
their site - $19.95! Live and learn...

Looked around the Web, found that this is one of a number of such
enterprises in an industrial-looking area of NY? or was it NJ? .
Manufacturer outsources ordering/shipping to these outfits -- tons of
them.

Phone # 866-537-7084. But a little more looking found a real
business address in New York.

SPECIALTY RETAIL ST $37.95
Doing Business As: FACTORYOUTLETSTORE

Merchant Address: 1410 BROADWAY
NEW YORK NY 10018

I sent these goniffs a letter promising to lose them as much business
as possible.

Live & learn. Why the hell didn't I just go to Best Buy for the damn
thing!

HB

This sounds very much like one of the millions of packaged web
businesses that are sold via TV infomercial late at night. You buy a
completely built website (just plug in your own business name,)
including e-commerce capability and product line. Products you manage
to sell are then drop shipped to your customers for you. Your only
"job" is to advertise your business and try to drum up customers.

Hope you also used a "virtual account number" from your CC company for
the purchase, as is recommended for all online purchases for any
company you don't know.

Hope you also used a "virtual account number" from your CC company

I ALWAYS do.

Be aware however, for Discover anyway...

You do not need a new virtual number for each purchase for the same
company. You can use the same virtual number...and so can the merchant.
The virtual number is good until your current regular card expires.
That's why merchants can credit the account that was charged for things
like returns/exchanges.

The advantage is that if the number is stolen from a merchant, another
cannot use it.

Another advantage is that if a merchant is a bad one you can just cancel
the virtual number and all goes on normal with your card and account.