Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Is any of this false? Is any of this true?

On 5/24/2011 11:21 AM, Michael Dobony wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2011 11:45:00 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

In , wrote:
Is any of this false? Is any of this true?

"Most disposals of are of a builders-grade quality, and the blades
rust off within two to four years.

False.

Dull or rusted blades mean that your disposal may sound like it is
working but it's not. The number one cause of kitchen singk clogs is
old disposals.

False -- IMO, the number one cause of kitchen sink clogs is user error: people
trying to shove too much stuff down the disposal, or stuff that shouldn't be
put down the disposal at all.

I'll second that bigtime. Just like toilets, people treat disposals like
they are a magic way to make stuff go away. If people would scrape the
plates and cooking pots over the trash first, their disposals would last
a whole lot longer. So what if you have to empty the kitchen trash more
often because SWMBO says it stinks? Better that than replacing the
disposal every couple of years. If you have a garden, most of what you
put down disposal should be going in compost pile anyway.

I had a disposal growing up and in first 3 apartments after being out on
my own. Only time they ever jammed is when I stupidly put something
small and metal near sink, and it jumped in there. (a corollary of
Murphy.) Bought this place almost 6 years ago- no disposal. Adding one
was on my to-do list, but hesitated because I was on septic. I don't
even miss it any more, and at this point, will let next owner worry
about it.

--
aem sends...