Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Storing an old carburator

On 5/24/2011 8:40 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

For what it's worth I've never replaced one of those carbs on any of
my gas powered equipment. Simply cleaning it and replacing the
gaskets has always been enough. That yours improved with gas additive
suggests the same.

I've had to replace them on some equipment but it's generally after 20+
(to maybe 40 or more even) years. Old Zenith and the like will wear
around the throttle shaft so that air inleakage eventually becomes
intolerable and uncontrollable. There's no effective repair as they're
not bushed and unless one has suitable machine shop facilities to do so
oneself, the expense of paying somebody to do the custom bushing is more
than the new carb by quite a bit.

Unfortunately, many of these old guys are now out of production and
replacements aren't available so if I outlive the current versions it'll
be a harder route...

Anything new enough that it had a Honda engine wouldn't be a likely
candidate for needing a carb replacement yet I'd think...