Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Braggins Alan Braggins is offline

Default OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

In article , Arfa Daily wrote:
"Alan Braggins" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Arfa Daily wrote:
On May 21, 3:47 pm, The Medway
wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

[...]
OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out meal,
using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers. These are cooked on a
proper chargrill, which produces a flavour very similar to that of a
charcoal barbecue. There is no need to compete with the likes of Micky D's
or BK.

[...]
As well as this, there is a similar establishment in a town 15 miles away,
which recently celebrated 30 years, and we have been going there all that
time.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen haven't been going that long, but also back up the
idea that there's more to the burger market than McD and BK. (Being a
franchise changes the marketing situation though.)

There's a GBK near where my daughter attended university in Kingston on
Thames. Oddly, as I like decent burgers, I didn't actually take to their
menu. It was just a tad *too* gourmet for me ... I don't know whether or not
it is a 'fixed' menu dictated by the franchisers, or whether the franchisees
are free to alter it to their own tastes. It is the only one I've seen, so I
don't know whether the menu varies between individual outlets.

There's a menu on their web site that doesn't make any mention of
individual variation, so I suspect it's fixed centrally:
http://www.gbk.co.uk/menu/burgers/
(Says "100% Aberdeen Angus", I don't know if that's different in practice
from your Certified Angus or not.)

I wasn't trying to suggest you should copy them or become a franchisee,
just another example of burgers that aren't competing directly with
the McDonalds end of things.