Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default cutting 6 x 6 beams with miter saw ??? / new question from OPregarding Spax Lag Screws !!

On May 23, 5:38*pm, "James" wrote:
I have taken all comments to heart, and plan to cut the beams with a 12 inch
miter saw, and cut in more than one pass. * Several responders said that
would make *a smooth cut if care is taken in the process.

NEW * * QUESTION !! *:

While I used *12 inch spiral nails on a similar project about ten years ago,
my carpenter-helper has suggested that I consider using *Spax Lag Screws, of
the proper material for use with PT lumber. * I suppose that I would use *10
inch screws, either *with a torx *or hex head. * *I am old fashioned *(and
old), and I just can't quite see how a screw could provide as much stability
as a 3/8 *inch spike nail, or a spiral nail. *My carpenter assures me that
it can. * It would also seem to me to very hard to install these, but the
Spax website claims one version of the lag screw doesn't even require
pre-drilling *!! * I just can't envision how this *10 inch screw could be
drilled in straight, and not go off on a bad angle or something...

Any thoughts/ *ideas, *or *(most importantly) *experience using these *Spax
products ???

Thanks for any tips on this *!!

James

It will go straight. Use a couple where you would have used a single
large spike.