Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 23/05/2011 21:23, Dave wrote:
On 23/05/2011 20:33, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 23/05/2011 17:11, Dave wrote:
On 23/05/2011 08:53, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 23/05/2011 07:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2011 17:48:26 +0100, "Nightjar wrote:

The current owner uses wooden boards instead of plates, which I
view as
microbiologically suspect, so I no longer eat there.

Might be a bad assumption depending on the timber how often they are
washed or replaced. Some timbers have natural bactericides unlike
plastic and you'll never clean down to the bottom of the knife cuts
in plastic.

If I get served on plastic plates, I expect them to be single use. As
for bactericides, when I ran a medical manufacturing clean room, the
microbiologist mandated a rotation of three different disinfectants, to
prevent the build up of resistant strains. I don't see that it is less
likely that would happen with a natural bactericide and, unlike
ceramics, it is not going to be easy, if possible, to clean wood of the
blood that oozes from a blue steak.

What are the names of the 3 disinfectants, Colin?

My production manager came up with a proprietary food area cleaner /
disinfectant that the microbiologist approved for daily use. The weekly
clean alternately used a hypochlorite wash or a wipe down with alcohol.
I never needed to know the composition or even the name of the
proprietary cleaner. I only know the others because I sometimes took
some for use at home.

Thanks, I just wondered if 'Screen' was on the list.

Dave

Most food industry sanitisers are based on quaternary ammonium compounds -'quat' or QAC..

The majority that I have used have been based on Chloramine-T.