Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Naive consumer

On May 23, 6:12*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 5/23/2011 4:12 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Sun, 22 May 2011 21:44:12 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
*wrote:

I guess everybody else knew not to do this, but I learned the hard
way. *Needed a new answering machine (actually didn't; just wanted one
with more room for incoming message). *Looked on-line; found most
recommendations for low-end AT&T model, just what I wanted.

Ordered it from a place called "On-Line Fulfillment". *$37.95,"free"
shipping. *When it arrived, was defective. *Called them for a return
shipping label.

Hah! *That's how they get suckers like me.

1. *They will deduct their original shipping cost

2. *Plus they deduct 15% for return.

3. * I pay return shipping - $8.++ plus hassle of repacking.

Will end up, if lucky, with the same amount that AT&T charges on their
site - $19.95! *Live and learn...

Looked around the Web, found that this is one of a number of such
enterprises in an industrial-looking area of NY? or was it NJ? .
Manufacturer outsources ordering/shipping to these outfits -- tons of
them.

Phone # 866-537-7084. * But a little more looking found a real
business address in New York.

SPECIALTY RETAIL ST $37.95
Doing Business As: * * FACTORYOUTLETSTORE

Merchant Address: * * *1410 BROADWAY
NEW YORK NY 10018

I sent these goniffs a letter promising to lose them as much business
as possible.

Live& *learn. Why the hell didn't I just go to Best Buy for the damn
thing!

HB

In the future you should always make one of the first places you look
www.amazon.com

They often have the same or lower prices as anyplace else. *For $80 a
year you can "join - Amazon Prime" and then get free shipping on a lot
of the stuff they sell. *they have excellent return policies too.

Or better yet, stop by Goodwill, Salvation Army, or your nearest garage
sale. That is where my last 3 answering machines came from. I never pay
more than five bucks, and got 5 years plus out of each before they went
brain-dead. Most owners apparently don't understand you have to replace
the backup batteries every year or two.

I didn't know!

thrift shops, yer talkin' to a hard core thrift shopper! Guess I
didn't think of them for an ans. machine.

I did get the most gorgeous high end Harmon Kardon stereo for minor
bux at one of the better thrift shops, and previously at that same
shop, a pristine 6-head video cassette player.

Am routing the sound on my new Panasonic TV through the stereo; much
better! Funny how the TV is full of bells & whistles that I'll
probably never use, but still has the same ****ty little speakers like
most TVs.

[...]
HB