Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Paste[_2_] David Paste[_2_] is offline

Default OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

On May 23, 9:36*pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

You don't think that:

Right. Really? I mean, really? Bugs build up a resistance to peracetic
acid?!

strongly implies that you do?

No, it suggests that I am surprised that there maybe bugs which have
built up a resistance to bleach and/or peracetic acid. But for the
record, I am not aware of any that have. I even went to the trouble of
asking my friend who works in a biological research facility which
requires as-perfectly-sterilised-as-possible environments. She wasn't
aware, either. Not to say that that is the be-all and end-all, we
could be wrong, and we reserve the right to be wrong.

but I am not giving an
argument from authority, but rather asking you.

My authority is a professional microbiologist I no longer retain, so I
can give tell you what that microbiologist said in the past, but cannot
answer specific questions about areas that were never covered, which
includes the effects of peracetic acid.

It's basically a blend of acetic acid & hydrogen peroxide. It is
recommended for cleaning food prep areas in many places. Whether or
not this includes England, I couldn't tell you.

Can you point to anything that says it will produce a 100%
disinfection?

Yes.

Then please do.

Fire.

I have never come across any disinfectant that makes
that claim and would be very interested to see it supported.

You asked for 100% disinfection, you didn't specify method. For a
chemical disinfectant, bleach is pretty much as good as anything,
according to my friend. Certainly for food use.

The wood would be single-use only.

Wooden plates are not single use.

They are after being burnt.

The fact that the standards exist does not mean all establishments meet
them, else Environmental Health would be out of a job.

Oh you'd be surprised by what gets passed by EH. Or rather, how little
being passed by EH means. It is basically analogous to the MOT for
cars in that respect, does nothing but show at one specified time,
that place was fit for purpose. IF food really did have more stringent
requirements, then they would be more active in checking & regulating.
But as I have read, you were referring to industrial food prep areas -
like microwave meal factories, I presume. I have no experience with
these places.

The Food Hygiene Directive (93/43/EEC) and subesquent legislation
require that food preparation areas shall be easy to clean and, where
necessary, to disinfect. That effectively does outlaw it for food
preparation. I suspect that not covering the serving of food on wood is
an oversight.

But it might not be. The risks may just not exist.