Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Storing an old carburator

On May 23, 1:13*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 23, 12:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just ordered a new carburator for my Honda lawn mower engine.

Since placing the order, I tried some Mechanic In A Bottle and it
improved the performance of my mower significantly. It's not 100%, but
if I hadn't already ordered the carb, I probably would wait a while.

Anyway, since the new one is on it's way, I'm going to change it, but
I don't see a need to throw out the old one just yet. I might just
keep it around as an emergency spare.

Should I choose to do that, what's the best way to clean it and store
it to keep "fresh" so if I ever need it (years from now?) it'll still
work?

BTW - Plano Power equipment has a great website for outdoor power
equipment - especially parts for Honda engines and genrators.

http://www.planopower.com/

You'd be better off just canceliing the order or trying to sell.
Stockpiling parts for a mower is not very smart. *Just buy the part
when you need it.

If you really wish to keep a spare then keep the new one.- Hide quoted text -

The order has already shipped and the cost of the new carb and gaskets
($20) isn't worth the trouble of trying to re-sell.

As I said, the mower isn't 100% so I'm going to replace the carb
anyway. It would be nice to have a spare just in case the mower has a
problem mid-season and I'm stuck without it for lack of a $15 part.

Besides, if I keep the part on the shelf, I'll never need it. If I
toss it, the new one will fail the day after Waste Management empties
my can. ;-)