Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Naive consumer

On 5/23/2011 12:44 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I guess everybody else knew not to do this, but I learned the hard
way. Needed a new answering machine (actually didn't; just wanted one
with more room for incoming message). Looked on-line; found most
recommendations for low-end AT&T model, just what I wanted.

Ordered it from a place called "On-Line Fulfillment". $37.95,"free"
shipping. When it arrived, was defective. Called them for a return
shipping label.

Hah! That's how they get suckers like me.

1. They will deduct their original shipping cost

2. Plus they deduct 15% for return.

3. I pay return shipping - $8.++ plus hassle of repacking.

Will end up, if lucky, with the same amount that AT&T charges on their
site - $19.95! Live and learn...

Looked around the Web, found that this is one of a number of such
enterprises in an industrial-looking area of NY? or was it NJ? .
Manufacturer outsources ordering/shipping to these outfits -- tons of
them.

Phone # 866-537-7084. But a little more looking found a real
business address in New York.

SPECIALTY RETAIL ST $37.95
Doing Business As: FACTORYOUTLETSTORE

Merchant Address: 1410 BROADWAY
NEW YORK NY 10018

I sent these goniffs a letter promising to lose them as much business
as possible.

Live& learn. Why the hell didn't I just go to Best Buy for the damn
thing!

HB

Usually you only get stuck with a restocking fee if you return something
for a refund but do not pay in returning a defective item for a good
one. I'd dispute the charge to my credit card company and the supplier.