Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default Naive consumer

On May 23, 12:44*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
I guess everybody else knew not to do this, but I learned the hard
way. *Needed a new answering machine (actually didn't; just wanted one
with more room for incoming message). *Looked on-line; found most
recommendations for low-end AT&T model, just what I wanted.

Ordered it from a place called "On-Line Fulfillment". *$37.95,"free"
shipping. *When it arrived, was defective. *Called them for a return
shipping label.

Hah! *That's how they get suckers like me.

1. *They will deduct their original shipping cost

2. *Plus they deduct 15% for return.

3. * I pay return shipping - $8.++ plus hassle of repacking.

Will end up, if lucky, with the same amount that AT&T charges on their
site - $19.95! *Live and learn...

Looked around the Web, found that this is one of a number of such
enterprises in an industrial-looking area of NY? or was it NJ? .
Manufacturer outsources ordering/shipping to these outfits -- tons of
them.

Phone #866-537-7084. * But a little more looking found a real
business address in New York.

SPECIALTY RETAIL ST $37.95
Doing Business As: * * *FACTORYOUTLETSTORE

Merchant Address: * * * 1410 BROADWAY
NEW YORK NY 10018

I sent these goniffs a letter promising to lose them as much business
as possible.

Live & learn. Why the hell didn't I just go to Best Buy for the damn
thing!

HB

SO YOU GOT SUCKERED...IT HAPPENS....THE IMPORTANT THING IS YOU GOT
WHAT YOU WANTED.
ID CONTACT CONSUMER AFFAIRS ASAP...
DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY STILL USE ANSWERING MACHINES?
SHEESH.... I ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY WERE CUMBERSOME AND ****ITTY.
I'VE SEE THEM IN STACKS AT LOCAL THRIFT SHOPS EVERYWHERE.
BE WISER..
NEVER BUY ANYTHING YOU HAVENT INSPECTED IN PERSON UNLESS YOU CAN TAKE
THE LOSS.
THE BRIGHT SIDE IS HAD YOU BOUGHT IT AT BEST BUYS, YOU COULD
PRACTICALLY DESTROY IT AND RETURN IT AS UNSATISFACTORY
IF I COULD HAVE A LANDLINE I'D HOOK IT UP TO A PC WITH A SOFTWARE
CALLER ID / SCREENING / ANSWERING DEVICE DRIVER....LIVE A LITTLE
TGITM
PATECUM