Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Arfa Daily wrote:

Tonight, we went out to eat at a local TGIs. They too use CAB burgers,
and
chargrill them. They are on the same complex as a Micky D's, a KFC and a
BK,
but they do not have any problem selling their burgers. The place was
packed, and almost everyone was eating burgers, so we are confident that
there is a demand for our product. Also, we have stayed in touch with
many
of our previous regular customers, and they all cannot wait for us to
open.

If you get time and the chance, I suggest a bit of research at Hamburger
Union. I consider that they offer a decent burger for a reasonable
price, despite being in rip-off London. Certainly way better than
anything in the crapital since Gatsbys closed down.

I wish you success. However when it comes to providing decent food at
reasonable prices I find that the great British public doesn't give a
****, as witness the comments here about how great Aldi etc are and what
overpriced ****e olive oil fresh and direct from the farm must be. If
you were to serve up dead dog in a trough with plenty of economy baked
beans as a side dish, you'd have plenty of takers.

WTF are "CAB" burgers BTW? Hamburger Union do that peculiar thing of
taking steak and mincing it, is that what you mean or do you refer to
some frozen patty of Cow's Arse Burger?

It's Certified Angus Beef. As to the public not caring about the quality of
the food that they are fed, from our experience, I don't think that is
wholly true. Whilst there is a large section of the public who don't care -
and if there wasn't , the likes of Mickey D's and roadside greasy spoons
wouldn't survive - there is also a big contingent that *do* care, and will
seek out establishments that provide a superior product. I think where a lot
of businesses go wrong on that score, is to then overprice their offerings.
The trick is to cover all costs, then make a healthy profit, but remain
competitive. And it is a juggling trick, but do-able. I once saw one of
Ramsay's programmes where he was sorting out some restaurant that was about
to go down the pan, and he said that the formula was 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3. That's
materials, overheads, and profit. And we've found that is pretty near the
mark. If you can get it to around that, the business will be sound.

Arfa