Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default 1/2 inch anchors for hollow concrete block? Must resist pullout.

On 5/21/2011 12:46 AM, wrote:
On May 20, 3:42 pm, wrote:
On May 20, 3:13 pm, Limp wrote:

On May 20, 2:48 pm, wrote:

A costumer wants 7 foot ceder posts attached to the side of landing
made of concrete blocks topped with brick. A hand rail will be
attached to the posts and a flat ceder board attached to the top of
the posts that will serve as a plant shelf.

I'm not sure if a concrete slab lies under the brick? The landing is
about 30 inches high. What ever anchors I use must resist pull out
forces from the railing and shelf.

Do appropriate anchors exist for what I want to do?

Thanks for any help!

If they are concrete blocks (not that crappy dark grey stuff) toggle
bolts would work.

Or look he

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/

Thank you! I found this:

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...-hd/rod_hanger....

But think the toggles you suggested will be more simple,

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/pdf/ca...-SAS-2009-p178...

If I can't find ones long enough I can just substitute threaded rod.
Great idea, thank you!

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/pdf/ca...-2009-p178...- Hide quoted text -

The first thing I noticed was that you're going to have 7 foot posts
attached to a cement block landing (wall) which is 30" high. Those
posts then have to support both a handrail and also a shelf
that will be loaded with plants. The plants in particular will
presumably be high up and could be of substantial weight.
That could put substantial leverage on the landing and
fasteners.

My first concern would be how sturdy the block landing is
to begin with. Often these things are thrown together with
minimal cement and aren't intended to be structural supports
for anything else.

Excellent points. I'll also throw in that the plant shelf need a tall
lip (with drain ports) to keep pots from landing on heads (especially
shorter people like kids) if somebody slams into the railing, like when
they stumble, or are horsing around.

Personally, I'd try to steer customer to hanging baskets, perhaps from a
gibbet and pole, or even an arch, sunk into the ground. And if they need
a handrail, wrought iron (real or faux) on anchors drilled/epoxied into
the slab. Wood rail and brick porch would look funny to my eyes.

--
aem sends...