Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default AM/FM radio troubleshooting

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
On May 21, 10:05 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
klem kedidelhopper wrote in message

I have a Grundig "Transistor 305" portable radio. It uses germanium
transistors. I've had this thing for over forty years and although I
don't use it often it has been a nice radio. In 1971 I replaced the
transistor in the FM detector circuit and I have had no problems with
it until just recently. Last month I spent three days in the hospital
and I brought the Grundig with me. I noticed that after it was on for
about a half hour it would start to cut out. I turned it off and then
later turned it on again, and after a period of time it happened
again. After several similar episodes I stopped using it. I wondered
about some type of interference from the hospital but that was wishful
thinking. In any case being in no position to test it I decided to
just put it away. Yesterday I put it on the bench and took a look at
it. Sure enough after a brief time it cut out again. I injected a
signal, (my finger on a small screwdriver) onto the wiper of the
volume control and ascertained that there is nothing wrong up to the
speaker. So now I need to get into the IF's and detector. My problem
is my old signal generators are not working and all I can come up with
for 10.7MHZ. is a CW signal out of my MFJ249 SWR meter. The MFJ puts
out a clean signal however it is CW, and it's amplitude is not
adjustable. I don't think that an unmodulated signal would be a
problem in this application but I don't know what the amplitude of the
MFJ is and I would hate to blow up an otherwise good IF amplifier with
an excessive signal. I''m admittedly a bit rusty having not trouble
shot an IF amplifier/detector circuit in many years so does anyone
have a feel for how I might signal trace this radio with what I have
on hand? Thanks very much for any advice. Lenny

Any 4 pin Ge transistors in there? if there is then the usual simple fudge
is worth a try

Well the AM is not working either when this set fails. And since the
set uses the same transistors but different coils for each stage

Does it have the old TO7 transistors like OC170/171/AF116/117 etc?

They're prone to internal whiskering, most commonly the can/screen to one of
the 3 electrodes, lifting the screen lead might get it going, some people
zap the whiskers with 47uF charged to 50V (twist C,B & E together first).

If the whiskers have reached 2 or more electrodes you're pretty much
stuffed, some people use BF450/451 as replacements but you usually have to
tweak the base bias resistors to suit silicon 0.7V and you might have to
align out the different collector capacitance (do one stage at a time).

If you have extreme manual dexterity and bloody good eyesight you can melt
the solder seal between can & header and put the TO92 inside the TO7 can to
preserve the appearance of originality.