Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default 1/2 inch anchors for hollow concrete block? Must resist pull out.

"Joe" wrote in message
On May 20, 1:48 pm, andyeverett wrote:
A costumer wants 7 foot ceder posts attached to the side of landing
made of concrete blocks topped with brick. A hand rail will be
attached to the posts and a flat ceder board attached to the top of
the posts that will serve as a plant shelf.

I'm not sure if a concrete slab lies under the brick? The landing is
about 30 inches high. What ever anchors I use must resist pull out
forces from the railing and shelf.

Do appropriate anchors exist for what I want to do?

Thanks for any help!

Stick a Sonotube down in the ground at the edges and mount the posts
on that. Too risky on just the blocks IMO.

Joe

ditto on that. Not enough to drill to. On some blocks, there is enough
meat to use a 3/8" sleeve anchor successfully, but I would not trust a 1/2".
Can you grout just that cell?

Steve