Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default [OT] Circular Sticky backed Sat-Nav mount problem.

On 21/05/2011 07:11, Donwill wrote:
The combination of a heavy canvas toroid filled with what maybe lead
shot, a sticky base and a smooth plastic surface to fix the suction cup
to was very successful for a time. However :-( .

Over time I've looked at my cars and the length of time I keep them,
then then paultry amount I get when it comes to part with them.

So I'm of the persuasion, if it really needs a hole drilled to mount
something, drill it...

Last car had more holes which were more down to rust than me

What could work well if you really don't want to do that, is to glue one
of those super strong magnets removed from an old computer hard drive,
to the reverse of the dashboard surface, and then replace the part of
the cradle attachment with a metal plate, rubberised to protect against
the dash against scratches.

Be careful not to get the magnet too close to parts that may be affected
badly by it. GPS's don't contain magnetic compasses as far as I am aware.

--
Adrian C