Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Circular Sticky backed Sat-Nav mount problem.

I purchased a heavy, sticky bottom, dished disk thingy (approx 6ins
dia) which enables me to hold a sat-nav on top of the dashboard and it's
worked superbly for the first 9 months or so, not moving at all during
heavy breaking or accelerating. However the stickiness of the base seems
to have degraded and I now have to catch it if I accelerate,
particularly up a hill.
The combination of a heavy canvas toroid filled with what maybe lead
shot, a sticky base and a smooth plastic surface to fix the suction cup
to was very successful for a time. However :-( .

I don't have the original instructions or name of the product.. I bought
it in a "motor mania type shop" some distance away.

Does anyone know if it's possible to treat it in some way to recover
the stickiness? perhaps wash it? or re-coat it with something? or do I
just bin it and look for another one?

Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Donwill
wrote
[...]

Google "Tomtom stick pad"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...ve+pads&tag=go
oghydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=10804730628&ref=pd_sl_7wee1vc1 d4_b

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2011 07:27:29 +0100, Alan
wrote:

The combination of a heavy canvas toroid filled with what maybe lead
shot, a sticky base and a smooth plastic surface to fix the suction cup
to was very successful for a time. However :-( .

I'm not sure from what you say if this relies upon stickiness or
suction to stay in place. 6in diameter is very large for a suction
cup.

A Sony satnav I had had a very soft sticky feeling suction cup which
worked very well but the soft surface was prone to getting
contaminated by dust and needed light rubbing with raw washing up
liquid and rinsing clean every few months.

Does anyone know if it's possible to treat it in some way to recover
the stickiness? perhaps wash it? or re-coat it with something? or do I
just bin it and look for another one?

If it relies upon sticktion rather than suction try using a layer of
non-Slip Gripper Roll/mat such as

http://www.maplin.co.uk/multi-purpos...lip-mat-217606
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_23 6355_langId_-1_categoryId_165479

Last roll I got was from the Pound Shop I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

I'm not sure from what you say if this relies upon stickiness or
suction to stay in place.

Some of them use the same principle as geckos' feet (Van der Waals
force?) which in some pseudo-scientific adverts I've seen described as
"nano vacuum" material!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

in some pseudo-scientific adverts I've seen described as
"nano vacuum" material!

Who on earth thought this was a good way to demonstrate the product?
Shame the airbag *didn't* go off and save us all ...

http://www.octo-pad.com/octo_demo.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone know if it's possible to treat it in some way to recover
the stickiness? perhaps wash it? or re-coat it with something? or do I
just bin it and look for another one?

Don

Some of the "tacky rubber" anti slip stuff like Dycem can be rejuvanated by
washing with water and detergent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill :
I purchased a heavy, sticky bottom, dished disk thingy (approx 6ins
dia) which enables me to hold a sat-nav on top of the dashboard and
it's worked superbly for the first 9 months or so, not moving at all
during heavy breaking or accelerating. However the stickiness of the
base seems to have degraded and I now have to catch it if I accelerate,
particularly up a hill.

I've had one of those for many, many years and it's shown no signs of
deterioration.

Have you tried giving it (and the dashboard, and the place that you
normally store it when not in use) a good clean?

If that doesn't work I'd simply stick some more tacky material on it.
There's the very light mesh that's widely sold for use on dashboards, or
Dycem which is more heavy duty. Both available on eBay.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It relies on a sticky translucent rubber membrane on the under surface
of the dish, when it was new it had a very high static friction
coefficient,. the membrane is cream in colour and has a couple of patent
numbers and a name which is difficult to read but looks approximately
like "SIANBAG". It's not at all like the rubber rolls you buy to line
cutlery drawers, it has a much higher friction coefficient.
I have since washed it in clean water without any detergent or soap and
it seems to have recovered some of it's properties. Time will tell when
I try it in the car again.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2011 07:11, Donwill wrote:
[...]

I looked up the patent number and came up with this:
http://freddy82.en.ec21.com/offer_de...3.html?gubun=S
It looks very much like mine , it says it has an "anti-skid silicone
base" and also mentions " Pull of displacement 60N."
which I assume is the side force required to unstick it.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2011 07:11, Donwill wrote:
The combination of a heavy canvas toroid filled with what maybe lead
shot, a sticky base and a smooth plastic surface to fix the suction cup
to was very successful for a time. However :-( .

Over time I've looked at my cars and the length of time I keep them,
then then paultry amount I get when it comes to part with them.

So I'm of the persuasion, if it really needs a hole drilled to mount
something, drill it...

Last car had more holes which were more down to rust than me

What could work well if you really don't want to do that, is to glue one
of those super strong magnets removed from an old computer hard drive,
to the reverse of the dashboard surface, and then replace the part of
the cradle attachment with a metal plate, rubberised to protect against
the dash against scratches.

Be careful not to get the magnet too close to parts that may be affected
badly by it. GPS's don't contain magnetic compasses as far as I am aware.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Circular Sticky backed Sat-Nav mount problem.

On 21/05/2011 16:05, Owain wrote:
On May 21, 3:46 pm, Adrian C wrote:
So I'm of the persuasion, if it really needs a hole drilled to mount
something, drill it...

But if Mr Tealeaf sees a mounting bracket for a satnav, Mr Tealeaf may
be tempted to effect entry to the vehicle in the pursuit of such
objects as can be negotiated for cash in the local hostelry.

Ah easy,

When the satnav is removed, plant a stuffed toy on top of the bracket or
some other decoy material.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2011 07:11:02 +0100, Donwill wrote:

which enables me to hold a sat-nav on top of the dashboard and it's
worked superbly for the first 9 months or so, not moving at all during
heavy breaking or accelerating.

So the satnav is loose not physically attached to mount also attached
to the car?

Heavy braking/acceleration is nothing compared to being hit by, or
hitting, something. Anything loose inside a car becomes a projectile
in a "road traffic incident". Satnavs aren't that heavy but they are
hard I wouldn't like to be have one whack me on the head...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Remove sticky after sticky labels JMS[_2_] UK diy 25 August 10th 10 10:00 PM
Surface mount chip problem jamma-plusser Electronics Repair 16 November 22nd 08 04:35 PM
A sticky problem Pat Home Repair 6 November 5th 08 04:22 PM
Circular saw problem David UK diy 13 April 14th 08 10:54 PM
Sticky finish problem Doug Woodworking 5 April 16th 06 11:28 AM