Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill[_3_] Donwill[_3_] is offline

Default [OT] Circular Sticky backed Sat-Nav mount problem.

On 21/05/2011 07:11, Donwill wrote:
I purchased a heavy, sticky bottom, dished disk thingy (approx 6ins
dia) which enables me to hold a sat-nav on top of the dashboard and
it's worked superbly for the first 9 months or so, not moving at all
during heavy breaking or accelerating. However the stickiness of the
base seems to have degraded and I now have to catch it if I
accelerate, particularly up a hill.
The combination of a heavy canvas toroid filled with what maybe lead
shot, a sticky base and a smooth plastic surface to fix the suction
cup to was very successful for a time. However :-( .

I don't have the original instructions or name of the product.. I
bought it in a "motor mania type shop" some distance away.

Does anyone know if it's possible to treat it in some way to recover
the stickiness? perhaps wash it? or re-coat it with something? or do I
just bin it and look for another one?

Don

I looked up the patent number and came up with this:
http://freddy82.en.ec21.com/offer_de...3.html?gubun=S
It looks very much like mine , it says it has an "anti-skid silicone
base" and also mentions " Pull of displacement 60N."
which I assume is the side force required to unstick it.
Don