Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Is there any roof coating that can be specifically applied overshingles (for the entire roof) ?

Colbyt wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

wrote the following:

Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

I have a 20' x20' (400 sq. ft.) sunroom that had a black shingle roof. It
became hotter in the summer than the outside temperature.
With the pitch of the roof, the actual roof area might have been 450 sq.
ft.
I painted it with Henry Solarflex 287 SF Brilliant White Elastomeric Roof
Coating.
It is not advertised as a coating for asphalt shingled roofs, but I just
tried it before spending big $$$ for switching to a light colored shingle.
It's been 4 years and it is still white. Also, the coating has greatly
reduced the shedding of the granular surface of the shingles.
Bought it Home Depot. It came in a 5 gallon plastic can, and I have about
1/4 of it left.
YMMV

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bill I have looked at that product and wondered about using it. How old was
your roof when you did it? Did you use a brush or roller? Did you have any
leaks or were you just going for cool?

It was only a couple of years old, and it was in very good shape.
I only did it to reduce the summer heat in the sunroom, and it did that
very well.
I didn't use a brush. I did the whole thing with a roller, but I did
have to make a triangular jig to keep the roller pan level while on the
roof pitch.

The thing I fear is the curling potential mentioned. I see other people
getting away with it. Five to 7 ears is all I need until I will be ready
for a new roof.for the entire house.

Colbyt