Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there any roof coating that can be specifically applied overshingles (for the entire roof) ?

Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On May 20, 8:01*am, " wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating *that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . *Anyone know of something ?? *Thanks.

==
Metal roofing comes to mind.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:03*am, Roy wrote:
On May 20, 8:01*am, " wrote:

Looking for a sun reflective coating *that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . *Anyone know of something ?? *Thanks.

==
Metal roofing comes to mind.
==

Thanks Roy, but im looking for a coating that i can apply
myself....not ready to lay down big bucks to have a metal roof done at
this time .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 10:01*am, "
wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating *that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . *Anyone know of something ?? *Thanks.

Nope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 10:01*am, "
wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating *that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . *Anyone know of something ?? *Thanks.

Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2011 11:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 20, 10:01 am,
wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_roof

I'm going to use white shingles, on one side, on my next roof. We can
get away with it here because of the warm weather.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_roof

I'm going to use white shingles, on one side, on my next roof. We can
get away with it here because of the warm weather.

Jim

Hmmm,
Warm or hot. I never saw pure white shingles. Maybe lighter colored one?
Is attic venting is proper? Attic fan?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 20, 10:01 am,
wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

Why?

Hi,
An attempt for temporary fix is always waste of time and money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.
Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_roof

I'm going to use white shingles, on one side, on my next roof. We can
get away with it here because of the warm weather.

Jim

Hmmm,
Warm or hot. I never saw pure white shingles. Maybe lighter colored one?
Is attic venting is proper? Attic fan?

Sort of an off white but pretty bright. My neighbor did his. We had a
ridge vent installed with the last roof but attic heat here is a big
deal. One roofer told me a white roof (well whiter roof) can lower your
attic by as much as 10 degrees.

Some shingle mfg stopped making white(ish) shingles but they are still
available. GAF used to but I think they stopped.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2011 12:25 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 20, 10:01 am,
wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

Why?

Hi,
An attempt for temporary fix is always waste of time and money.

Depends on who is doing the fixing. :-)

I patched up my flat roof in NM with Henry roof coating and/or a white
roof product. Stuff actually worked pretty good.

I wouldn't try it on shingles but I'd be interested in hearing the long
term results.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.
Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_roof

I'm going to use white shingles, on one side, on my next roof. We can
get away with it here because of the warm weather.

Jim

Hmmm,
Warm or hot. I never saw pure white shingles. Maybe lighter colored one?
Is attic venting is proper? Attic fan?

Here's one. I think you see them a lot more down here in the south.

http://www.greenspirationhome.com/cr...-colored-roof/

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote the following:

willshak wrote:
wrote the following:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

I have a 20' x20' (400 sq. ft.) sunroom that had a black shingle roof.
It became hotter in the summer than the outside temperature.
With the pitch of the roof, the actual roof area might have been 450 sq.
ft.
I painted it with Henry Solarflex 287 SF Brilliant White Elastomeric
Roof Coating.
It is not advertised as a coating for asphalt shingled roofs, but I just
tried it before spending big $$$ for switching to a light colored
shingle.
It's been 4 years and it is still white. Also, the coating has greatly
reduced the shedding of the granular surface of the shingles.
Bought it Home Depot. It came in a 5 gallon plastic can, and I have
about 1/4 of it left.
YMMV

Hi,
Black shingle for sun room? it makes sense, LOL! My two sun rooms have
laminated Al. panels. With R value of 20 foam core. 17 year old, still
looks as new.

LOL, LOL, I am in the NE US where we have very cold winters and my 27
year old house has black shingles. I wanted to match the color of the
house roof. The sun room has the same type as yours. Large foam cored
panels with aluminum covering on the inside and a wood exterior covering
for shingling (maybe 5" thick). There are no soffit vents or ridge
vents, therefore no venting between the roof and interior. I made a
mistake trying to match the sunroom roof with the house roof. LOL!
Did you have any suggestions for the OP? LOL.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
wrote the following:
[...]

Bill I have looked at that product and wondered about using it. How old was
your roof when you did it? Did you use a brush or roller? Did you have any
leaks or were you just going for cool?

The thing I fear is the curling potential mentioned. I see other people
getting away with it. Five to 7 ears is all I need until I will be ready
for a new roof.for the entire house.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 1:11*pm, willshak wrote:
wrote the following:

[...]

OT, but somewhat related.

When I grew up in Queens, NY, I lived in the 2nd house in a row of 13
attached brick homes (1 block, 1 building, 13 individual 2 story plus
basement homes).

Since mine was the second house in the row, my backyard faced the side
of the house on the block that was at a right angle to ours. That
house was also brick and the brick was in need of some serious repair
work.

We were good friends with the owners and they knew that we didn't get
much sun in our backyard because it was on the north side of the
house.

To repair the flaking brick, they had a company come in and stucco the
side of their house, but they didn't stop there. They "hand carved"
mortar joints and painted the outline of bricks into the stucco.

It looked like white brick with black mortar. The black wasn't painted
on the flat surface of the stucco, the mortar joints were actually
carved into the stucco so they looked like true mortar joints.

It did a great job of reflecting the sun into our backyard and making
it much brighter. It probably served to cool their house also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2011 10:36 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 20, 10:01 am,
wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

Nope.

It isn't designed for it, but I have seen people tease an extra year or
two out of a tired asphalt shingle roof by painting it with the
'topcoat' stuff designed for rubber membrane roofs. I know that stuff
ain't cheap, and in the cases I saw, I suspect it was sourced from a
friend of a friend, either damaged cans out a warehouse back door, or
jobsite leftovers that would have dried up bad before they could be
used. I know the stuff comes in various colors, with white being the
most reflective.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

wrote the following:

[...]

It was only a couple of years old, and it was in very good shape.
I only did it to reduce the summer heat in the sunroom, and it did that
very well.
I didn't use a brush. I did the whole thing with a roller, but I did
have to make a triangular jig to keep the roller pan level while on the
roof pitch.

The thing I fear is the curling potential mentioned. I see other people
getting away with it. Five to 7 ears is all I need until I will be ready
for a new roof.for the entire house.

Colbyt

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, if he's using city water it contains chlorine and can damage
the roof.

Jim

thats OK rain now contains radiation thats probably not good for roofs
either

If the OP can afford it why not just replace the roof NOW, assuming it
wouldnt need replaced again in the OPs lifetime

amazing how stuff you do at 20 without a thought changes when your
over 50, and changes again for folks in their late 70

there are 50 year guaranteed shingles, costly but might help

Posted to alt.home.repair
ken ken is offline

On May 20, 7:16*am, "IlBeButt****ed @cocksucvker.com" wrote:
not ready to lay down big bucks to have a metal roof done at
this time .

URA DELUSIONAL FUNDY CHEAP ****!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was in the roofing industry and went to technical meetings about roof coatings. Although there are now products marketed for coating shingles, there are reservations about this. One of the main ones is that if water gets through somewhere, it can get trapped underneath and not evaporate because the coating will make the shingles breath less. This could lead to premature rotting of your roof decking.
I would only try this if you positively cant afford re-roofing and the shingles are still in good enough shape to be coated good (no moss, etc. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paraffin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Liquid EPDM Rubber is not advised for asphalt shingles, stainless steel or glass. The following roof types-substrates do not require the ProFlex primer and only one coat of the Liquid EPDM:https://www.epdmcoatings.com/epdm-uses.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 05:03:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Liquid EPDM Rubber is not advised for asphalt shingles, stainless steel or glass. The following roof types-substrates do not require the ProFlex primer and only one coat of the Liquid EPDM:
https://www.epdmcoatings.com/epdm-uses.php

There was a product called "roof-saver" if I remember correctly that
was sold for use on all kinds of roofs - including steel and asphalt
shingles. An uncle of mine was selling it in Sask. a number of years
back. No idea how it worked or if it was any good. He has since passed
on.

Flashing Under Shingles- Entire Roof frank1492 Home Repair 12 June 15th 10 03:34 AM
Coating a Rubber roof desgnr[_2_] Home Repair 3 July 2nd 09 07:52 PM
Roof Paint/Coating? Harry Home Repair 2 May 16th 07 09:02 PM
Roof Paint/Coating? Harry Home Ownership 0 May 16th 07 04:29 PM
Flat roof coating m Ransley Home Repair 1 March 14th 04 03:06 PM