Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is there any roof coating that can be specifically applied overshingles (for the entire roof) ?

On May 20, 1:11*pm, willshak wrote:
wrote the following:

Looking for a sun reflective coating *that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . *Anyone know of something ?? *Thanks.

I have a 20' x20' (400 sq. ft.) sunroom that had a black shingle roof. *
It became hotter in the summer than the outside temperature.
With the pitch of the roof, the actual roof area might have been 450 sq. ft.
I painted it with Henry Solarflex 287 SF Brilliant White Elastomeric
Roof Coating.
It is not advertised as a coating for asphalt shingled roofs, but I just
tried it before spending big $$$ for switching to a light colored shingle..
It's been 4 years and it is still white. Also, the coating has greatly
reduced the shedding of the granular surface of the shingles.
Bought it Home Depot. It came in a 5 gallon plastic can, and I have
about 1/4 of it left.
YMMV

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

OT, but somewhat related.

When I grew up in Queens, NY, I lived in the 2nd house in a row of 13
attached brick homes (1 block, 1 building, 13 individual 2 story plus
basement homes).

Since mine was the second house in the row, my backyard faced the side
of the house on the block that was at a right angle to ours. That
house was also brick and the brick was in need of some serious repair
work.

We were good friends with the owners and they knew that we didn't get
much sun in our backyard because it was on the north side of the
house.

To repair the flaking brick, they had a company come in and stucco the
side of their house, but they didn't stop there. They "hand carved"
mortar joints and painted the outline of bricks into the stucco.

It looked like white brick with black mortar. The black wasn't painted
on the flat surface of the stucco, the mortar joints were actually
carved into the stucco so they looked like true mortar joints.

It did a great job of reflecting the sun into our backyard and making
it much brighter. It probably served to cool their house also.