Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Is there any roof coating that can be specifically applied overshingles (for the entire roof) ?

On 5/20/2011 12:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

JimT wrote:
On 5/20/2011 11:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 20, 10:01 am,
wrote:
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on
roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.
Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_roof

I'm going to use white shingles, on one side, on my next roof. We can
get away with it here because of the warm weather.

Jim

Hmmm,
Warm or hot. I never saw pure white shingles. Maybe lighter colored one?
Is attic venting is proper? Attic fan?

Sort of an off white but pretty bright. My neighbor did his. We had a
ridge vent installed with the last roof but attic heat here is a big
deal. One roofer told me a white roof (well whiter roof) can lower your
attic by as much as 10 degrees.

Some shingle mfg stopped making white(ish) shingles but they are still
available. GAF used to but I think they stopped.

Jim