Posted to alt.home.repair
Ivan[_8_] Ivan[_8_] is offline

Default Bringing pool circuits up to code

On May 19, 7:43*pm, "
wrote:
On May 19, 7:20*pm, wrote:

On Thu, 19 May 2011 15:48:12 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On May 19, 4:51*pm, Ivan wrote:
* 3) Install a twist-lock receptacle with in-use cover and a twist-
lock cord and plug for the pump? At the moment, the motor is hard-
wired to a switch. It is only disconnected when service is required.

Having it hard wired is how most of the ones I've seen are done.
There is no code reqt for a cord and plug, so I'd say that's
unnecessary and a waste of money.

It is probably how he is providing the required disconnect.

He said it's currently wired to a switch. *Provided the switch is
within direct view from the pump and only a short distance
away, doesn't that meet the reqt for a disconnect? *If the
switch isn't within view of the pump and close by, then I
agree the plug could be a way to meet that reqt.

The switch is about a foot from the pump and within direct view. But
there is a second switch up at the pool deck, within earshot but not
eyeshot of the pump.