Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Saw from Harbor Freight

"Existential Angst" fired this volley in
:

Don't confuse running a blade backwards (as in installing it backwards
in a table saw, like Ed H referred to in my dual saw thread), and
cutting in climb. In milling, many machinists prefer to cut in climb,
depending depending.

I cut conventional or climb as finish demands when milling.

But I get your description; for some reason I forgot that the blades were
counter-rotating. It's really one blade cutting from above the work, and
the other from below -- either pulling or pushing direction of cut.

OK... then that means (in wood, at least) that you _never_ get a clean
cut on the "show side", because you only _ever_ cut down on finished
surfaces (or with a circular saw with one blade "from the bottom"). With
one blade cutting up from the bottom, and the other down from the top,
you never get a finished show edge.

Besides that, the only advantage such a saw would have is that it
wouldn't tend (as badly) to bind in wood that tended to pinch, because of
that HUGE kerf! And, perhaps, that you can cut pulling or pushing, but
I'm not sure I see the advantage to that, at all.

I still don't get it.

LLoyd