Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default New Saw from Harbor Freight

"Steve W." wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
"justme" wrote in message
Steve W.

If you are talking to me then, no, I didn't see your reply.

I am confused Steve, are you saying that your FD has the dual blade
saw and uses it regularly? If so, how does it hold up?

Steve needs to do some rationale A/B comparisons with a suitable
equipped/bladed circular saw.
I'll bet the results greatly favor a circular saw.

I have used just about every saw out there. From plain circular saws
through the K-12 and our carbide toothed chain saws.
The twin does as well or better for the tasks we use it for than the
others in a lighter and easier to handle package.

Would I carry it on the roof to cut vent holes? NOPE. I'll take a chain
saw with carbide chain for that.
Would I want it to cut through a concrete silo wall to access a victim on
the other side, Nope I'd grab the hydraulic concrete saw with water
cooling and dust spray.
Would I want to cut through rail or heavy steel with it? NOPE. The K-12
can do that provided there is no real danger of ignition dangers. If they
exist the hydraulic saw gets the job (It's slower cutting than the
abrasive on the 12 but the water spray and lube means no sparks)

As far as abrasives/sparks go, sheeit, they DO work for a FD, they should
have spark umbrellas and fire/flash suppressors, no? A Stihl
gas-powered abrasive saws cut through 12x12 ties and 4x4 steel in
railroad yards -- I'd like to see a dual saw do that. Oh, and proly $5
per blade, as well, vs, what, $50-$100 for a pair of dualsaw blades?
Gimme a break.

Now, mebbe there are some rescue advantages to this gadget, altho I sorta
doubt it, but even if there are, that doesn't at all translate into shop
practicality or economy.

Never said that as a replacement for all your saws it was a good idea. For
us it is a very handy tool.
However it is up to the user to determine that for themselves.

I would bet that if you do any real welding that you have more than an old
250 amp buzz box?
Or if you do any grinding you have more than one stone or grit of paper.

Same thing with the FD. We have various tools to do jobs.
For instance I can pick a lock, use a shove knife, use the halligan bar,
or hammer the K-tool in place and tear out the lock. All will
remove/defeat the lock. Which is the fastest depends on the lock, door,and
amount of damage done.

As far as the spark shields. Yep we have blankets and shields. However if
you can do the extrication without using them and do it faster and
cleaner, why would you use them??

Notwithstanding all your points, the dualsaw infomercial is a goddamm
ripoff, a total misrepresentation of its specialized /limited utility.
--
EA

--
Steve W.