Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default New Saw from Harbor Freight

"justme" wrote in message
Steve W.

If you are talking to me then, no, I didn't see your reply.

I am confused Steve, are you saying that your FD has the dual blade
saw and uses it regularly? If so, how does it hold up?

Steve needs to do some rationale A/B comparisons with a suitable
equipped/bladed circular saw.
I'll bet the results greatly favor a circular saw.

As far as abrasives/sparks go, sheeit, they DO work for a FD, they should
have spark umbrellas and fire/flash suppressors, no? A Stihl gas-powered
abrasive saws cut through 12x12 ties and 4x4 steel in railroad yards -- I'd
like to see a dual saw do that. Oh, and proly $5 per blade, as well, vs,
what, $50-$100 for a pair of dualsaw blades? Gimme a break.

Now, mebbe there are some rescue advantages to this gadget, altho I sorta
doubt it, but even if there are, that doesn't at all translate into shop
practicality or economy.
--
EA

Thanks

Joe

On Thu, 19 May 2011 19:50:37 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:
"justme" wrote in message
Thanks, guys.

I didn't see this from an infomercial but H.F. email.

So, I take it that no one has one.

No one admitted so in my thread, either.
Some inneresting threads on this on alt.home.repair, as well, altho more
bickering than discussion goes on there.

Guess you didn't see mine then. We have 2 for our FD.
The original inventor designed them for Fire Dept usage. Then discovered
that like every other "new" tool the fire service would rather hold to
tradition than progress...

Keep in mind that I routinely cut 1" thick solid alium, up to 3" thick,
on a
radial arm saw, with a fine-tooth 10" blade, from HD -- a two or three
blade
pack for about $30.
Be aware of the diffs in climb/conventional cutting, and a cupla safety
issues, tho. Best to to cut thick material conventionally, which in a
RAS
means pushing in to the material against the stop -- much greater
control,
altho you gotta make sure the blade doesn't lift/throw the material.

There is a video of a shop class instructor cutting mebbe 4 or 6" solid
alum
with a circular saw.... wow.....

Also, keep in mind, when all else fails, use abrasive blades. Walters
makes
wheels for alum grinding, I'm sure there are abrasive blades for alum
cutting. Just like for ceramics, etc.

Abrasive work well. BUT would you like to be sprayed with a shower of
hot sparks while sitting behind the wheel with a couple broken legs and
maybe an open wound or two?

Bottom line is, imo, the dualsaw is an absolute ripoff, a kind of
"pointless
technology".
No one else here seems to get their panties in a bunch the way I do over
all
this, but a ripoff is a ripoff, a mind**** is a mind****. All of it is
an
outrage, and imo is part and parcel of the Global Economic Ass****ing.

Actually it does the job it was intended for very well. Cutting open a
vehicle with minimal noise and sparks compared to 99% of our normal
tools. It is also MUCH lighter than most other tools used and doesn't
require a lot of extra training to use.
About the only gripe I have with ours is the lube you are supposed to
use between the blades. When the temps climb the stuff likes to get
really sticky and makes it messy. So we generally just use some good
spray on lube, just draw the cut lines on the vehicle with the lube and
cut.