Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
justme[_2_] justme[_2_] is offline

Default New Saw from Harbor Freight

Thanks, E.A. for your information.

I guess that I will have to spring for another H.F. 14" abrasive chop
saw strictly for aluminum. Then, try a fine toothed blade in my RAS,
too for aluminum.

I did a longitudinal cut in a 5 foot length of 3/4 inch aluminum and I
had the shop doors open and the RAS grabbed that plate and threw it
against the house about 15 feet away with an awful sound when it hit
the brick wall. I just don't have any idea of what it would have do
to my stomach had I been in the way of it. It really taught me a
lesson. Really, this plate shot out of the shop so fast that it was
very scary.

Yes, I never cease to be amazed on what has happened to the world.
It seems, no it really is that everyone is at everyone else's throat.
I am a ham radio operator and years ago, no matter what frequency that
you tuned in on, not a harsh word was ever spoken and the mantra
hamdom was help the other fellow. If he needed a part that you had,
it was his, gratis. I hate to be so negative but due to our lack of
cohesive, we are doomed.

Enough of my rambling.

Thanks for the tips.

Joe

On Thu, 19 May 2011 19:30:22 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"justme" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks, guys.

I didn't see this from an infomercial but H.F. email.

So, I take it that no one has one.

No one admitted so in my thread, either.
Some inneresting threads on this on alt.home.repair, as well, altho more
bickering than discussion goes on there.

Keep in mind that I routinely cut 1" thick solid alium, up to 3" thick, on a
radial arm saw, with a fine-tooth 10" blade, from HD -- a two or three blade
pack for about $30.
Be aware of the diffs in climb/conventional cutting, and a cupla safety
issues, tho. Best to to cut thick material conventionally, which in a RAS
means pushing in to the material against the stop -- much greater control,
altho you gotta make sure the blade doesn't lift/throw the material.

There is a video of a shop class instructor cutting mebbe 4 or 6" solid alum
with a circular saw.... wow.....

Also, keep in mind, when all else fails, use abrasive blades. Walters makes
wheels for alum grinding, I'm sure there are abrasive blades for alum
cutting. Just like for ceramics, etc.

Bottom line is, imo, the dualsaw is an absolute ripoff, a kind of "pointless
technology".
No one else here seems to get their panties in a bunch the way I do over all
this, but a ripoff is a ripoff, a mind**** is a mind****. All of it is an
outrage, and imo is part and parcel of the Global Economic Ass****ing.