Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Solar Systems, Entry level--- More

On May 19, 5:37*pm, Andy wrote:
On May 19, 9:31 am, JimT wrote:
Jim says:

I wouldn't go that far. :-) I'm not really sure how difficult installing
a "out-of-the-box" system would be. From what I've seen it doesn't look
that difficult.

***** I looked into this last night and found that Unisolar *includes
an
owner's manual with their solar shingles so they can easily be
installed by a layman.... Obviously, that doesn't include tying the
inverter into the grid , tho... * As a licensed EE and retired senior
principal engineer from Raytheon, I'll admit that my perspective is
different from the laymen who post here. *But the stuff we are talking
about here is stuff I could do when I was a ham operator back
in high school...... It ain't rocket surgery...if one uses an "out of
box"
system with an owner's manual ----excepting the final grid connection.
That part should be done by a professional, in my opinion, who would
also inspect the entire thing first and say whether it was safe....
and
met NEC.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is quite a bit of favoritism going on
with these "approved" installers. That sort of stuff is pretty common
here. Also, I would have to check to be sure the rebate money is
availible. The city only approved $XXX amount for the program. When I
was looking into getting a LED pool light the installers didn't want to
bother with all the city regulations. For some things it's much better
to be out of the city limits. Austin IS "weird".

Jim

****** Yes, regulations are all over the map. *Up north, where almost
everything is unionized, I suspect that union influence drives a lot
of the requirement for licensed (that means UNION) electricians and
contractors.... Not so much here in Texas. * While nobody should
dispute using experienced personnel for significant work, up in
Plano, north of Dallas, one needs a building permit to put in a
closet light, complete with electrical inspection ---- although the
homeowner is allowed to do the work.... *Actually, not really
a bad idea.... :))) * If it passes inspection, and meets NEC,
what does it matter who does the work ? *IMO

I don't doubt that in some cases, local law permitting, you could
install one yourself. *But it would take a major investment in
learning about all the various issues involved. *And I'd start
with figuring out what implications it may have for rebates
and warranties. * Also, given that there is at least a 30%
federal tax credit available, as well as possibly other rebates
on the total system price, you're in effect getting at least
30% off the labor of a professional installer.

***** *I agree completely. * Some people pride themselves on learning
* *the subject and doing the work themselves ----- others just shrug
it off and say "it's too complicated"..... *One has only to read
various
questions on alt.home.repair to conclude that some people don't have
the skill to replace a recepticle in a wall outlet..... but if they
were
shown how to do it, without getting zapped, they would no longer
hesitate...... * It just takes the comittment to learn.. *Some have
it,
some run from it.

* * * * * * * *Andy in Eureka, Texas

They are all "out of the box". The only tricky bit is that they
start to generate the moment the box is opened. Something you need to
keep in mind.