Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default a case for safety

On May 18, 9:03*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 5/18/2011 6:35 PM, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:30:47 -0500, Mark Lloydnothing@invalid
wrote:

Retailers like them because they give the product excellent visibility
while being just about impervious to shoplifters and curious shoppers..

And can be nearly impervious to the purchaser too.

'adult-proof' *Elderly people with arthritis have a difficult time
opening those dang things. *I just take a utility knife to the thing.
If I return a product they can have the cut up pieces, if they like...

Utility knife, even with a fresh blade, puts your hands at risk unless
you are wearing leather gloves and cutting on a cutting board. Dunno
what plastic they are using, but it is incredibly tough (so that the
blade wants to slip off), and produces razor-sharp edges. Anymore, I use
straight heavy shears, and cut the 4 edges off like trimming the crust
off a spoiled child's sandwich. Long gone are the days when the edge was
spot-welded in a few spots, and you could find an open gap and
brute-force the thing open.

I hate the damn things, but they are almost impossible to avoid at this
point. Too bad the package is more durable than the product inside, in
many cases. Seriously, you could make weapons out of the stuff.

--
aem sends...

Band saws work quite well also.