Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar Systems, Entry level--- More

On May 19, 9:36*am, JimT wrote:
On 5/19/2011 7:54 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,
* *wrote:

* * Thanks again , Henry. *I'm sure that most of those who post
here will have an interet in your first hand experience...

Count me out of any interest in Harry's babbling. How much credibility
are you going to give a guy who opines, even insists, that a grid-tie
solar system is a DIY job?

Maybe Texas is as lawless as England, but in CA anyway, you damn well
need a building permit, it absolutely has to be wired up by a licensed
electrician, and to qualify for any rebates or sell any power to the
utility it has to be an officially approved system, installed by a
licensed contractor who likewise has to have undergone training and been
State approved.

AFAIK: Here (Austin, TX) you need a bld permit and permission to tie
into the grid and that requires a licensed electrician. In addition, you
need to use one of the cities approved installers to get a $2.5/watt
rebate. Without the rebate, it just wouldn't make any sense financially.

Jim

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Good to see some sanity being introduced. I was beginning to think
I was the only one that thought a PV install has some big issues
and isn't something a DIY person is going to figure out in an hour,
which is what harry claimed. We also had Andy claiming it's
no more complicated than adding an accessory to a PC. So
much for any credibility those two have.

I don't doubt that in some cases, local law permitting, you could
install one yourself. But it would take a major investment in
learning about all the various issues involved. And I'd start
with figuring out what implications it may have for rebates
and warranties. Also, given that there is at least a 30%
federal tax credit available, as well as possibly other rebates
on the total system price, you're in effect getting at least
30% off the labor of a professional installer.