Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default New Saw from Harbor Freight

"justme" wrote in message
Does anyone have this 5" Double Cut Saw SKU 68316? If so, what do you
think of it, especially for steel and aluminum? I have other devices
to cut each but it would be nice to have something like this if worth
a flip.

I know that are metal cutting circular saw blades but they are
expensive.

Thanks for any comments.

See my 5/15 thread, Dual Saw Infomercial.
What's HF charging?

Dudn't really matter, cuz the concept is basically bogus, as someone else
indicated.
Yer better off with a fine-toothed trim saw, or any kind of blade on a 4
1/2" angle grinder.
Or a fine-toothed blade on a 7 1/4" circ saw, which you proly already have.
Heh, or a sawzall.....

Note that there is steel and there is steel. ANY saw will cut corrugated
zinc/steel, or any of that bull**** on the infomercial, ANY carbide blade
will go through nails in 2x4, etc. It's really all in the blade, sfpm
permitting.

There are circular saw blades for cutting real steel plate, but they are
proly very expensive, and proly don't have the longest life, bein as the
sfpm is just all wrong from the gitgo, and this type of stuff is proly just
for field-type necessity stuff..

Also keep this in mind:
Even a top-quality dualsaw-type mechanism is complicated, and *therefore*
of questionable long-term durability, compared to sawzalls, circ saws, etc..
Infomercial/ HF quality certainly aren't going to help durability issue, but
at least with HF, you ain't payin top ripoff dollar.
Bargain or not, you gotta know what to buy from HF and what not to buy.
--
EA

Joe