Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default a case for safety

Tegger wrote the following:
Tegger wrote in
:

Edward Reid wrote in
:

How did we ever survive when power tools didn't come in HDPE
clamshell cases? I remember when power tools mostly came in just a
cardboard box, if that. It must have been incredibly dangerous. I
deduce this, at any rate, from the fact that most power tools arrive
on our shores encased in HDPE which apparently has no other function.

Clamshells are normally PET/PETG, not HDPE.

Hold on. I know what you mean now: not the clear clamshell you discard
after buying the tool, but the opaque one you /store/ the tool in. I'd call
that a storage case, not a clamshell.

Those storage cases are meant as a convenience feature. Marketers hope that
including a storage case will help make their product more attractive to
buyers. This is especially true when the tool consists of numerous parts,
which may be misplaced unless a storage case is used.

I have a number of tools that came in storage cases, and I find the cases
quite convenient indeed. I have a runout gauge, a torque wrench, and a set
of micrometers. These are all precision tools which benefit greatly from
the protection of their storage cases.

Besides, they stack well on shelves. If you have enough height between
shelves, you can stack 2 or 3 boxes, one on top of another.
You couldn't do that with unboxed tools.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY