Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Who is on Facebook?

On May 16, 3:56*pm, Swingman wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/16/11 8:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
One of the advantages of FB is that it adds another dimension to those
folks who post on the wRec that you would really like to know in person,
but due to distance, find that a remote possibility. Also a great way to
keep up with remote family and grand kids.

facebook.com/karl.caillouet

I was a former member of a usenet/computer group that got overrun by
trolls, now we have a private invite-only group on FB with about eight
people trusted to be admins (read original members). *38 members on the
group now, and a very lively community, more fun. on topic, no trolls etc.

The invite-only being the key, Karl if there is an interest, I can help
you set it up, it took about a year to get to the point it is, first
members have to friend a member, and then invited. *There is a document
on the page that links FB names to usenet names if people get confuzed, etc.

We are quite happy with it.

A plus is that it tends to add civility to the general discourse ... I feel
like the guys here who are also on FB are indeed "friends", we "know" each
others wives, children, siblings, pets and, as much as mutually allowed,
their interaction with same ... last thing you want to do is to get into a
****ing contest with a friend here, or anywhere else.

--www.ewoodshop.com

I agree that it certainly expands the interaction, in some ways even
more so than a phone. UseNet is pretty darn shallow unless you bump
into folks who one is more familiar with through FaceBook.

I am on the fence a bit as to what extent I am willing to go with it.
My friends have most pertinent info on me already anyway, but not all
know my shoe size. I like to see the faces of those I interact with,
am always curious about their families, pets, hobbies, what they see
when they look out their kitchen window.

My youngest's BFF just came home from an Italian student exchange
after 3 months. As if she never left. My daughter threw a party for
her in our back yard, and at one point, when the bonfire was low, I
looked down from the deck, on that crowd of about 30, and saw at least
20+ little lit-up screens.... they were all together and STILL texting
each other...G