Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default Truck rack

On Mon, 16 May 2011 16:04:10 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Steve,

Do you **really** need the 20' in single lengths? I live 200 miles
from our aluminum suppliers and I have a SWB Dodge with extended cab.
The tray is barely 8' long. I get the metal people to cut everything
in half and they do it for free. Drop the tailgate down, rope them so
they can't slide out and a couple of red flags they also supply and I
am off home.

I have 3/8" x 2" U-bolts mounted standing up on the rear bumper either
side of the tailgate as rope loops. I can get everything really
tightly roped through those. The rear bumper is rated to haul a 5000-
lb trailer so nothing is coming loose.

I used to haul the 18' car trailer down and back until I realized that
only about 3 of the 16' and 20' sticks in a load of about 1200-lbs,
were used in the full length, so now I weld two halves if I ever have
to have 16' etc.

Dave

Dave, your talking to me not Steve...

Me, well I don't like committing and open the hood and put about 4
wires trough a hole and slam the hood shut. Then wire over the front
corner of the bed and more wire at the tailgate and let it hang on the
side of the truck with rags between.

SW