Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Help with wiring colors on old headphones

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"Ian Jackson"

I find that reversing the phase of one of the headphones produces
a much wider audio image, and is generally much easier to listen to.
I can only hope that the purists will forgive me.

** All you have to do is un-link the common ground -- it leaves the
two transducers in series and out of phase.

If the signal is mono, you'll have pretty much nothing left to listen to. If
it's stereo, the mono components will be cancelled, the L- and R-only
components retained, with components in-between subjected to varying degrees
of attenuation.

And, yes, Phil, whether or not you like it, what I've just said is 100%
correct.