Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Deke[_6_] Deke[_6_] is offline

Default Is MTS audio a victim of the latest cable company upgrading?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Deke wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Deke wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Deke wrote:

Universal Cable rule # 1- They don't care about audio, or
visual
quality,
and will always be geared to please the lowest common
denominator.

File a complaint with the FCC at

Universal Cable rule # 2- Even if they DO have a high quality
signal
available to them, they will compress/mangle it (1080i to 720i,
5.1
distorted L-R mono) to save bandwidth.

File a complaint with the FCC at

Universal Cable rule #3- Cable companies don't care if you have a
$10,000
home entertainment center. Can you see a picture? Good!, and
can
you
hear
it? Good!, will always be good enough for them.

File a complaint with the FCC at

Universal Cable rule #4- Charge maximum amount of money for the
poorest
choice of channels, with the worst possible signal quality.
Increase
rates
at will.

Rate increases must be approved by the franchising authority.
They
can not increase rates 'At will'.

This solved all my problems, AND gave me a far superior DVR...
www.dishnetwork.com

Tell me how well it works in heavy rain or fog. I have had
outages
of over three full days becasue of bad weather, but the local cable
system worked after several hurricanes even though there was no
electricity in the area for over a month.

Since my system was installed correctly, it works fine in heavy fog or
rain.
I do lose signal when a squall line comes thru, but only for a couple
minutes.

Big deal. It isn't a problem in your area, but it is in others.

So? Big deal indeed. Mine works fine, thanks.

After a 13 day power outage due to an ice storm, the system came right
back
up when power was restored.

Installed properly? Sigh. I installed the dish and wiring. The
drone from dish turned on the account. I installed, upgraded and aimed
5 meter dishes at CATV headends and TV stations. I worked for
Microdyne
who built the commercial grade equipment. A 'Dish' or Direct TV'
antenna is designed to be installed by anyone with a pair of pliers.

And this is relevant in what way to my complete satisfaction with Dish,
and
the fact that local Mediacom service stinks?

Only that you have your head where the sun doesn't shine. Dish is
far from perfect, and you have a hard-on for cable TV.

BTW, have you installed a three lnb satellite dish lately?

Have you ever converted a five meter dish from Cassegrain to prime
focus and installed four LNAs. The original feed horn had to be removed
and lowered down the side of a hill by rope. It weighed over 125
pounds. Then cut three slots in the dish while hanging from a sling?
That conversion took five full eight hour days with three workers. Your
three LNB feed is child's play.

And yet you say you had a three day outage. Interesting.

And if a pair of pliers is all you used to install the dish, no wonder
there
were problems.

Sigh. I have all the tools needed, and a small machine shop behind
the guest cottage on my property. I said that it could be installed
with a pair of pliers and a lot of installs I've seen looked like that
was what they used. Do you have a Sat meter to read the signal level at
the dish? I have two, and a Sadelco TV FSM. Do you know how they
work? How about an inclinometer?

http://www.satellitetvshop.co.uk/

All my satellite equipment is already installed and working quite well.
I do have a Sat meter, but haven't used it in some time. No need.

Who needs a DVR? There is life outside of watching TV. I spent
over
a year with no TV or internet last decade, and all I missed was the
wether maps on the local TV news.

So? Your choice to live off the grid was your choice.

What are you smoking? I am not living 'Off grid'

So you DID have electricity? Fascinating.

I choose to watch the TV shows I enjoy, minus the commercials, in HD.

Learn to ignore them. I did, when i started working as a TV
broadcast engineer in 1973. There is no programming worth it to me to
record to a DVR. If there was, I would build one out of a spare
computer. It doesn't take much of a computer these days:

Once again, fascinating. I choose to not spend the time "ignoring" them.
Saves 20 minutes out of every hour. But of course, being a broadcast
engineer from the 70's, you should already know that.

From http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Minimum System Requirements:

1.0 GHz x86 or x86_64 Processor
192 MB of system memory (RAM)
2 GB of disk space (Frontend Role)
20 GB of disk space (Backend Role)
Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
Supported TV Tuner Card (Backend Role)
Recommended System Requirements:

2.0 Ghz x86 or x86_64 Processor
2GB MB of system memory (RAM)
10 GB disk space (Frontend Role)
160 GB+ disk space (Backend Role)
nVidia 8xxx+ 256MB+ Graphics Card
Supported TV Tuner Card (Backend Role)

I have all of this laying around as spare parts.

Reminds me of a TV show called "Hoarders". You should check it out.
I have it recorded on my DVR.

Hoarder? You're the one collecting useless TV shows. Those parts
take up a little over a cubic foot of space. My workshop is 1200 square
feet with a nine foot ceiling so that is less than 1/10 of a percent of
the space.

Who said anything about "collecting TV shows"? I just don't watch muich
live. Its recorded, then viewed, skipping the commercials, then deleted.

The spare parts are used to repair computers for the other Disabled
Veterans in my area. I also help low income and other disabled people
get a computer or to keep their working. I don't charge them for labor,
and tell them where to buy any parts they need. I would rather build or
repair something than park my ass in front of a TV and stuff my face
like so many drooling idiots. I prefer to read, than watch TV.

Good for you. Since you have already mentioned your guest house, your large
collection of tools, your 1200 sq ft work shop, your help for veterans and
the disabled, I'm guessing I'm supposed to be awed and impressed.
I applaud your altruism, but I downsized years ago (1997 actually) when I
retired. Now I only volunteer for the Red Cross.

Local Mediacom cable service is HORRIBLE.

Not my problem. I used to work in Cable TV in Cincinnati, Ohio at
the top rated system in the region. I maintained the headend for that
system, and 35 other systems across the country.

So? I used to work for the military.

So? I was a US Army broadcast engineer for AFRTS. I tested out of
the three year school while in Basic training at Ft Knox.

Bully for you, but how is that relevant to the fact that local Mediacom
service sucks?
Interesting that Mediacom is now offering their phone and internet service
bundle WITHOUT the cable service, to satellite customers.
Any port in a storm, eh?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-AidT on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Indeed.