Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage-door push button

On Sun, 15 May 2011 10:32:39 -0400, Peter wrote:

On 5/14/2011 11:30 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:24:55 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

On May 14, 11:16 am, wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

Gary

You can NOT use a lighted pushbutton for a garage door opener. It will
NOT work.

I originally installed 2 Sears chain drive garage door openers that came
with lighted doorbell push buttons. When they died, one after about 8
years and one after about 15 years, I replaced them with 2 Stanleys.
One is a chain drive, one is a screw drive. Both contained non-lighted
push buttons. Being lazy, I did not exchange either of the 2 old
lighted ones from the Sears openers. Guess what? Both openers work
perfectly using the lighted push buttons.

Don't be so quick to say "never".

And if you replace those garage door lighted push-buttons with
"normal" lighted doorbell buttons, your current door openers MAY or
MAY NOT continue to work - and if you replace those Stanly openers
with another manufacturer's door opener, say a Genie or some other
brand, they may or may not work.

On my Genie TracDrive I cannot use the lighted doorbell button
purchaced from Home Despot