Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage-door push button

A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 May 2011 10:58:22 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong?

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 11:16*am, dpb wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts..

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 2:24*pm, gcotterl wrote:
On May 14, 11:16*am, dpb wrote:

On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is..

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Gary

I'd bet the issue is the replacement one is LIGHTED, ie as someone
posted, more than just a momentary switch. Were any of the other
ones that did not work just a switch?
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
On May 14, 11:16 am, wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

Gary

Hi,
As already mentioned you may have a button with lamp in it or diode.
You just need a plain momemtary contact button. Ohm it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 1:33*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
gcotterl wrote:
On May 14, 11:16 am, *wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is..

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gary

Hi,
As already mentioned you may have a button with lamp in it or diode.
You just need a plain momemtary contact button. Ohm it out.- Hide quoted text -

Remove the light bulb - cut the wire going to one end of the bulb.
I'll bet my retirement that that fixes your problem. BTW - If the
button makes it move in one direction, how do you move it in the other
direction to try the pushbutton again. You don't mention if the
remote control works or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote in message
A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong?

If touching the two wires together momentarily operates the door properly,
you need a non lighted push button

Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
On May 14, 11:16 am, *wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

[...]

remote control works or not.- Hide quoted text -

The remote control works correctly.

To move the garage door in the opposite direction, I have to
disconnect one of the wires from the push button, reconnect the wire
and press the push button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , gcotterl wrote:
On May 14, 11:16=A0am, dpb wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close conta=

ct.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts=

..

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

And right there is your problem. Use an *un*lighted doorbell, or disconnect
the light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
On May 14, 12:08 pm, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On May 14, 1:33 pm, Tony wrote:

gcotterl wrote:
On May 14, 11:16 am, wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

[...]

What does it tell you? Just install right one and done with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/14/2011 5:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

And right there is your problem. Use an *un*lighted doorbell, or disconnect
the light.

Or find one that has a set of contacts that aren't connected to anything
else (or modify the one you have). There's no reason you can't have a
light; it just can't have the diode across the contacts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote in message
A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong.

That type of switch with a light will indicate to you opener that you are
still holding the switch closed even after you remove your finger. Do as
others said....Get the light out of the circuit. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 7:39*pm, "WW" wrote:
"gcotterl" wrote in message

A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. *When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) * I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong.

That type of switch with a light will indicate to you opener that you are
still holding the switch closed even after you remove your finger. Do as
others said....Get the light out of the circuit. *WW- Hide quoted text -

This is a stupid thread, the OP should take one second to snip out the
bulb and everything will be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong?

Is the new button a lighted button? by chance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:24:55 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

On May 14, 11:16Â*am, dpb wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

Gary

You can NOT use a lighted pushbutton for a garage door opener. It will
NOT work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 1:58*pm, gcotterl wrote:
A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. *When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) * I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong?

So umm, a question for you man -- why bother replacing the "original
button" at all if it still works ?

It sounds like you were looking for something stupid like a lighted
button so you could find it in the dark or something not realizing
that such a device is not compatible with your garage door opener
without installing a relay and your own low-voltage transformer to
power up the lighted button side of the circuit...

Good luck...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

What am I doing wrong?

This really has noting to do with the OP. I was just refreshing my
memory on latching relays and I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjRhtuSxz0
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 May 2011 19:34:50 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/14/2011 5:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

And right there is your problem. Use an *un*lighted doorbell, or disconnect
the light.

Or find one that has a set of contacts that aren't connected to anything
else (or modify the one you have). There's no reason you can't have a
light; it just can't have the diode across the contacts.

But that's where it gets its power, right? Works fine when you use it
for a doorbell. It's these newfangled gadgets like those goldarn
geerage door oapners that cause trouble.

I don't think the OP is the one to be putting in a separate power
supply, or a transformer and latching relay.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:52:37 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

[...]

He can probably paint the original one with fluorescent or luminescent
paint. I used to have a 2 or 4 oz. bottle of white paint like that. I
painted the edge of one of my living room doors, so I didn't keep
walking into it at night. It wasn't very bright but it worked.

Good luck...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 14, 1:58Â*pm, gcotterl wrote:
A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.

When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one
direction then stops. Â*When I push the button again, nothing happens.
(I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was
wired) Â* I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different
brands but they also move the door in just one direction.

When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the
door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the
door reverses.

What am I doing wrong?

So umm, a question for you man -- why bother replacing the "original
button" at all if it still works ?

It sounds like you were looking for something stupid like a lighted
button so you could find it in the dark or something not realizing
that such a device is not compatible with your garage door opener
without installing a relay and your own low-voltage transformer to
power up the lighted button side of the circuit...

Good luck...

~~ Evan

Evan - in the VAST majority of lighted doorbell buttons there is NO
"lighted button side of the circuit" The light is across the switch
contacts and draws little enough current that the doorbell does not
know it is there. The "lamp current" flows through the coils of the
doorebell constantly - and when the button is pushed the lamp goes
out and full current flows through the coil of the doorbell, making it
ring.

On the garage door the actuator draws a lot less current than the
doorbell, so the current flowing through the lamp on the button does
not allow the relay in the door controller to fully disengage, not
allowing the unit to return to the "neutral" position.

The "switch" only has 2 contacts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 May 2011 12:35:15 GMT, Han wrote:

wrote in news:j6ius6p7qrb8oeem8q91e53g44qjtl5a6o@
4ax.com:

You can NOT use a lighted pushbutton for a garage door opener. It will
NOT work.

Well, I have a Genie garagedoor opener system, and next to the door is a
nice lighted button that does exactly what it is supposed to do. The light
is green, if that means anything, and the wire looks like something low-
voltage. Looking up a manual for Genie openers it says in big letters:

NOTE: Additional wall controls are available from
your dealer. ONLY ONE OF YOUR WALL
CONTROLS MAY BE THE LIGHTED TYPE. If you
have a lighted wall control, all your additional
controls must be un-lighted. More than one
lighted wall control per operator will cause
a malfunction.

And THAT lighted wall control is designed to work with THAT Genie
door controller. A lighted button that draws more power than the
specified Genie button will not work - and that Genie button may draw
too much power for a non-genie or different Genie controller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 14, 11:16 am, wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

Gary

You can NOT use a lighted pushbutton for a garage door opener. It will
NOT work.

I originally installed 2 Sears chain drive garage door openers that came
with lighted doorbell push buttons. When they died, one after about 8
years and one after about 15 years, I replaced them with 2 Stanleys.
One is a chain drive, one is a screw drive. Both contained non-lighted
push buttons. Being lazy, I did not exchange either of the 2 old
lighted ones from the Sears openers. Guess what? Both openers work
perfectly using the lighted push buttons.

Don't be so quick to say "never".

And if you replace those garage door lighted push-buttons with
"normal" lighted doorbell buttons, your current door openers MAY or
MAY NOT continue to work - and if you replace those Stanly openers
with another manufacturer's door opener, say a Genie or some other
brand, they may or may not work.

On my Genie TracDrive I cannot use the lighted doorbell button
purchaced from Home Despot
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

And you are clearly not someone experienced in electrical circuitry...

When you absolutely *need* to use a lighted door bell button with
a garage door opener you certainly can, if you know enough about
electricity to know how to lay out circuits which would use relays
to close the circuit to operate the doors... The control side of the
relay is entirely electrically separate from the output side and
you could use whatever buttons or switches you wanted to as
long as you provide the correct power required for them independent
of the garage door opener...

So yes, what I said was absolutely accurate... In a relay circuit
there is a control side and an output side...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

What am I doing wrong?

This really has noting to do with the OP. *I was just refreshing my
memory on latching relays and I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjRhtuSxz0

Solved!!!

One of the new doorbell push-buttons was lighted; the previous two
were not. NONE of them worked! So I trashed them all and replaced
the original one with a simple brass doorbell button.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and
lower the overhead garage door.

What am I doing wrong?

This really has noting to do with the OP. I was just refreshing my
memory on latching relays and I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjRhtuSxz0

Solved!!!

One of the new doorbell push-buttons was lighted; the previous two
were not. NONE of them worked! So I trashed them all and replaced
the original one with a simple brass doorbell button.

For all of us who contributed or lurked on this thread, it would have
been interesting if you had measured the resistance in ohms across the 2
terminals of the switches that did not work (both unpushed and pushed,
checking 2 cycles of push-release-push again-release again) versus the
one that does work and reported that here. If your trash has not been
collected, are you willing to retrieve at least one of the ones you
trashed, make the measurements, and let us know?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:

[snip]

For all of us who contributed or lurked on this thread, it would have
been interesting if you had measured the resistance in ohms across the 2
terminals of the switches that did not work (both unpushed and pushed,
checking 2 cycles of push-release-push again-release again) versus the
one that does work and reported that here. If your trash has not been
collected, are you willing to retrieve at least one of the ones you
trashed, make the measurements, and let us know?

And check with both polarities (meter is probably using DC to measure
resistance) in case there's a diode in there.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color." -- Mark
Schnitzius on alt.atheism

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gcotterl, Michael Stair wrote:
There is your problem.NEVER buy a lighted button for your garage door. I've
seen many posts saying that! Why, I don't know, but that's what they say.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-634054-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gcotterl, Mark wrote:
Did you find a work around for the push button replacement switch?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-634054-.htm