Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Garage-door push button

On 5/14/2011 11:30 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:24:55 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

On May 14, 11:16 am, wrote:
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, wrote:

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.

I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the
one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

--

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button
(Model # 700W-A)

The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell
Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)

Gary

You can NOT use a lighted pushbutton for a garage door opener. It will
NOT work.

I originally installed 2 Sears chain drive garage door openers that came
with lighted doorbell push buttons. When they died, one after about 8
years and one after about 15 years, I replaced them with 2 Stanleys.
One is a chain drive, one is a screw drive. Both contained non-lighted
push buttons. Being lazy, I did not exchange either of the 2 old
lighted ones from the Sears openers. Guess what? Both openers work
perfectly using the lighted push buttons.

Don't be so quick to say "never".