Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Cell phones kill bumblebees.....?

On Sun, 15 May 2011 01:17:34 -0500, the renowned Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2011 09:54:38 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-study-finds/

Interesting and VERY distressing if true.

We cannot afford to lose the bees....

"Dr. Daniel Favre, a former biologist with the Swiss Federal Institute
of Technology in Lausanne, Switzerland, carefully placed a mobile
phone underneath a beehive and then monitored the reaction of the
workers."

"This study shows that the presence of an active mobile phone disturbs
bees -- and has a dramatic effect," Favre told the Daily Mail.

If Dr. Favre carefully placed a glowing crucible of molten steel under
the hive and found that this disturbed the worker bees, would this
prove that steel production is damaging the bee population?

Funny. Blackberries and iPhones dramatically affect the productivity
of teenagers, I've noticed. Maybe it's the bee-like buzzing every
minute or two?

Perhaps it should be mentioned that the power of a transmitter at any
reasonable distance falls at least with the square of the distance
from the antenna.

Also, wavelength of cellphone frequencies is something like 6", which
is rather smaller than any bee I've seen ;-) .. so they can't really
absorb much with their entire bodies, let alone with some portion of
their bodies. AFAIK, we've not positively identified much in the way
of biological effects of non-ionizing radiation other than that
related to heating.

It seems evident why Dr. Favre is a *former* biologist with etc etc.

It's far more likely that there is some chemical (eg. pesticide)
effect at work. We're deliberately distributing chemicals into the
environment that kill bugs we don't like, and bees are bugs too
(albeit very useful ones to us). Approaching one POUND of pesticide
for every living human being every single year, worldwide (and more
than 3x that in the US). Tap water in Europe has a slightly bitter
flavor because of pesticides in agricultural runoff, and the ROW is
wanting to catch up and grow enough food for their own populations and
to export.

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/pestsale...1.htm#table3_1

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany