Silvan

Default Shipping job oversears & bringing workers here??

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, you'd amazed at the number of people that are stepping down from high
paid positions as the economy changes from manufacturing to service
oriented.

I wouldn't be amazed at all. I hear about it all the time. It makes my
prospects of getting out of trucking look that much more bleak too. I
guess going back for my CS degree is out.

people are willing to pay for. Trucking is that. I have job
security in spades, shovels and buckets.

Recenly read about the shortage of drivers. There are considerations to
lower the age for a CDL and allowing 18 year olds to drive under some
circumstances.

They already can, intrastate. There has been talk of letting them go
interstate, but I haven't heard anything substantive. It's a bad idea
IMHO. I once saw a dumbass kid dump the clutch and drive her Honda Civic
into a video store, knocking down half of the shelves in the process.
Luckily it was early in the morning, and there were few customers in the
store. No one got hurt. She was maybe 17. Do we want 18-year-olds
driving tractor trailers? O_o

That bring up another thought. Didn't you say you hauled furniture? Any
of your stops make the stuff and have good scraps?

I do, but no. Most of the stuff we haul these days, any scraps that are
being made are staying in the Far East. The last American manufacturer we
buy from has reached a point where they throw away a scrap after it's
13/16th" thick and 3/4" long.

Every jig in my shop is built from furniture factory plywood, but that
source dried up a long time ago I'm afraid.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/