Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Truck rack

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Steve B wrote:

I have a '06 Dodge 2500 short bed. I need to make a mondo headache rack
so
I can utilize my trips to Vegas to save about 33% over local steel
prices.
Carry back 1,000# of steel.

My concerns over several truck racks that I have built is:

When I make them to mount on the rails, the rails or side pockets rip
out.
I need to take it from the front end of the bed all the way to the front
bumper so I can get 20' sticks on there.

I want to make it so that it is removable without becoming a day long
deal.

I want to make a combination of rail supports, pocket stakes, and
verticals
down to the bed, bolting onto any substantial crossmember rather than
just
sheet metal bed flooring to handle the weight.

Any ideas, or cites to plans that will incorporate this for a rack that
will
carry a heavy load of pipe/square tubing safely?

Gusseting, and do you do your gusseting rigid or gimbaled? That is, do
you
just weld in solid braces, or weld them in with drilled bolts so they
will
flex?

I also want to build gimbaled vertical supports down to the front bumper
pulling eyes so that the unit will flex when going over curbs and filling
station entries. Drilled gimbals will be at the top and bottom of the
vertical supports on the front of the rack. I made one of the first
racks
in the Las Vegas valley to use this, and it was copied fast and
furiously.
The distance from the front bumper to the back of the cab is +50% of the
whole rack, so needs front support.

Ideas on what you've built appreciated. e mail at

Steve

1,000# is way too heavy to put on an overhead rack, those racks are for
modest weights like ladders, PVC pipe and conduit. I don't know about
where you are, but around here you can rent an 18' or larger equipment
trailer for about $50/day, and that would be a much better option for
hauling a load of steel.

Its all fun and games till someone gets killed.