Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing Crack in Poured Concrete Foundation

On Fri, 13 May 2011 10:24:19 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 12, 10:54Â*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. Â*I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair.
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. Â*I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice.
They suggested I go to HD. Â*The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. Â*Any suggestions?

You don't say how old the building is. If new, this could be a major
problem.
As someone has said you need to glue a glass telltale overt he crack &
leave for a few months. Some cracks are affected by weather
(ie,wetness of the ground, or frost esp.clay soils)

If still moving (ie the glass breaks) you are f**d. You will just
have to leave things and see how bad it gets. Make sure walls are not
likely to fall down etc.
If the glass remains intact after a year it's prob. OK & you can just
cement it up.

I don't know of any repairs to fractured concrete. It has broken
because it's too thin/weak or insufficient rebar.

As someone else said, no tiles, flexible or non attached floors only.

How did we get from foundation to floor - or are we in the habit of
tiling basement walls??