Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing Crack in Poured Concrete Foundation

I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair.
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice.
They suggested I go to HD. The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 6:22*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2011 17:54:34 -0400, "Ultraglide"

wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. *I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair..
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. *I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice.
They suggested I go to HD. *The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. *Any suggestions?

Use a 4" angle grinder and a diamond blade to clean the crack. Unless
a chisel works for you, best.

the real question why did it crack to begin with?

poor grade freezing etc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. *I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair..
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. *I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice.
They suggested I go to HD. *The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. *Any suggestions?

Use a 4" angle grinder and a diamond blade to clean the crack. Unless
a chisel works for you, best.

glue on either side of the crack a piece of glass using construction
adhesive, wait a year to see if the crack is moving
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 9:05*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2011 15:34:57 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

glue on either side of the crack a piece of glass using construction
adhesive, wait a year to see if the crack is moving

...towards Milwaukee

I dont understand towards milwaukee......

but in any case its impossible to fix a crack thats actively moving,
if the glass breaks you know its in motion.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 5:54*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. *I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair.
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. *I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice..
They suggested I go to HD. *The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. *Any suggestions?

WAIT & ASK THE CRACKHEAD OF THE GROUP...HE'S AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE
BOOWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
NO SERIOUS.....CHISEL IT OR CUT IT OUT SO THE TOP OF THE CRACK IS
SLIMMER THAN THE UNDERSURFACE...SLANTED SO TO SPEAK TOWARDS THE INSIDE
OF THE CREVICE.
AND USE CERABOND ( THE BLUE STUFF) AMD LET IT DRY, BEFORE YOU APPLY
YOUR CEMENT OR CRACK SEALER IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER, BUT UNDER NO
CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU SMOKE IT ....HAHA....

PAT ECUM
TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 5:54*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. *I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair.
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. *I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice..
They suggested I go to HD. *The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. *Any suggestions?

Cracks are usually unstable. You can fix it and see what happens.
You will not find anyhting that you can use to "hold" the concrete
together if it is still moving around. You're better off ignoring it
and using a flooring solution that floats. Carpet, wood, or
laminate. No tile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 5:54*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation

Here's a recent thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...a6e78 13818be

Or http://tinyurl.com/6bbc5dc
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:39*am, gpsman wrote:
On May 12, 5:54*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:

I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation

Here's a recent thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...rm/thread/a2a1...

Orhttp://tinyurl.com/6bbc5dc
*-----

- gpsman

The glass idea is a good one, unless you've been there 10 years and
know the crack has been stable. What is required, eg membrane?,
depends on info we don't know. If your basement is dry and there
has been no water infiltration from the crack for at least a few
years,
then I'd say skip it. For obvious reasons. To seal from the outside
is going to require excavation down to the footers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 10:42*am, "
wrote:
On May 13, 9:39*am, gpsman wrote:

Here's a recent thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...rm/thread/a2a1....

Or http://tinyurl.com/6bbc5dc
*-----

The glass idea is a good one, unless you've been there 10 years and
know the crack has been stable.

It's not a bad idea, but my perspective of such cracks is; if it
hasn't moved, it might, and that won't make repairs any easier, or
cheaper.

Supposedly cracks can be repaired good as new with epoxy and recessed
carbon fiber staples, and I'm considering that with mine.

Update on my foundation:

I'm right exactly where I left off, kinda, with my window still
boarded up.

The Boss assumed responsibility for the project when I couldn't meet
her schedule because I couldn't make it stop raining... and there she
sits.

I did get the leak stopped. She has no idea how unlikely that was.

She managed to get a bid, from a guy, through a "friend", finally.
$7500 to undo my work and replace it with the obsolete plan of the
engineer who doesn't have the first idea of the extent of the damage
because he looked at it years ago.

I don't hear any **** about that window now, and I like it that way.
That wall ain't going nowhere, that ****ing board will outlive me, and
we never looked in or out that window anyway.
-----

-gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:16:14 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
wrote:

Â*-----

[...]

Not sure what kind of foundation crack it is, but here's my
experience.
My basement is poured concrete. 1959, or 42 years old.
About 3 years ago I got tired of water getting in the basement
through 3 fine cracks in the wall and one leak around a sewer
pipe that was put through the wall in 1961 for a an overhead sewer
setup.
Only happened during heavy rain spells.
If it was just the leak around the pipe I would have done it myself.
But a guy I work with recommended U.S Waterproofing because
he had them fix some leaks and 20 years later when one started leaking
again they fixed it again at no cost.
I was busy so I had them fix the leaks. Cost $950.
Glad I had them do it. I like a dry basement.
The pipe was a chisel out and fill with hydraulic cement job, but they
also injected something in there.
The cracks got injections then some gray shiny stuff was slathered
over them. Looks like silly putty, but is hard as a rock now.
Haven't even cut the plastic injection nipples off yet.
I will if I ever get around to painting the concrete.
Got no idea what this stuff is. In fact I paid $950 not to know.
Maybe somebody here knows.
Some foundation cracks are common after so many years.
If they're not wide it's nothing to worry much about.
Good grading can keep water out too.
If it's leaking up high near ground level moving some dirt and just
applying tar can stop it.
My leaks were in areas where water pooled up.
I fixed that too.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 10:54*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. *I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair.
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. *I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice..
They suggested I go to HD. *The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. *Any suggestions?

You don't say how old the building is. If new, this could be a major
problem.
As someone has said you need to glue a glass telltale overt he crack &
leave for a few months. Some cracks are affected by weather
(ie,wetness of the ground, or frost esp.clay soils)

If still moving (ie the glass breaks) you are f**d. You will just
have to leave things and see how bad it gets. Make sure walls are not
likely to fall down etc.
If the glass remains intact after a year it's prob. OK & you can just
cement it up.

I don't know of any repairs to fractured concrete. It has broken
because it's too thin/weak or insufficient rebar.

As someone else said, no tiles, flexible or non attached floors only.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 May 2011 10:24:19 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 12, 10:54Â*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. Â*I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair.
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. Â*I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice.
They suggested I go to HD. Â*The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. Â*Any suggestions?

You don't say how old the building is. If new, this could be a major
problem.
As someone has said you need to glue a glass telltale overt he crack &
leave for a few months. Some cracks are affected by weather
(ie,wetness of the ground, or frost esp.clay soils)

If still moving (ie the glass breaks) you are f**d. You will just
have to leave things and see how bad it gets. Make sure walls are not
likely to fall down etc.
If the glass remains intact after a year it's prob. OK & you can just
cement it up.

I don't know of any repairs to fractured concrete. It has broken
because it's too thin/weak or insufficient rebar.

As someone else said, no tiles, flexible or non attached floors only.

How did we get from foundation to floor - or are we in the habit of
tiling basement walls??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:06*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 10:24:19 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 12, 10:54*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
[...]

THAT's RIGHT IT ISNT AN ORDINARY FLOOR & WALL.
STAPLES ARE A THOUGHT....SOME WEIGHT BRACES SHOULD DO IF THERE IS A
RECURRING CRACK.
THERE ARE SO MANY REASONS A FOUNDATION OR FLOOR CAN GO
WRONG...UNLEVEL, PRESSURE POINTED OR SLANTED GROUNDS MAY BE A
DETERMINING FACTOR...BUT I HOPE YOU DO HAVE A "BRACED" REBAR MESH IN/
UNDER THAT FLOOR.....IF NOT...I WOULD MOVE OUT..DEMOLISH AND
REBUILD....OR ....KEEP FILING IN THE CRACK EVERY COUPLE OF YEARS UNTIL
THE FREAKING FOUNDATION SETTLES........IF IT SETTLES BEFORE CRACKING
YOUR WHOLE BUILDING IN HALF.
IF NOT...THAT's TOO BAD ;-(
TGITM
PAT ECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. I
searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair.
The basement is finished at that point and I don't want to tear everything
oug. I went to my local builders' supply to see if they had any advice.
They suggested I go to HD. The guy there suggested I chisel out the crack,
parge with hydrostatic cement and apply a blue coating (I forget the name).
Nothing was said about a membrane. Any suggestions?

I'd get some old plastic bags like you use to carry home groceries,...
and a screw driver and a hammer and stuff that crack full of strips from
the grocery bags. Then think about it for a couple of years to see if
it still needs a permanent fix. Maybe we will have a new president by
the time it needs fixing.