Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - When a terrorist dies, is it OK to gloat?

wrote in message
On May 13, 7:44 am, "Ed Huntress"

Remember, I *am* a registered Republican. Just because the right-wing
fruit
loops have temporarily co-opted the party doesn't mean that the old
balance
won't be restored. I'm hoping it happens before I die, but time is running
out...

--
Ed Huntress

Being a registered Republican does not mean you are a Republican. It
just means that you are registered as one.

Well, then, how about being a delegate to my Republican county convention
for governor? That was nearly two decades ago, but I was gung-ho.

I was the real thing. Then the party left me. sob

I suspect you are really an independent registered as a Republican so
you can vote in the primaries. In the last ten years did you vote for
any Democrats? In the last ten years did you vote for more Democrats
or Republicans?

There hasn't been a real Republican worth voting for, except maybe for Dole,
for a good 20 years now. And I didn't vote for Dole

Your assessment of my politics may be correct, as a factual matter and by
current definitions. But that's because the party changed. I haven't really
changed my politics much since the early '80s.

I'm sort of an Ev Dirksen Republican. d8-)

I first got interested over welfare issues. I was moved by the arguments
made by Shelby Steele and Pat Moynihan that welfare, as it existed then, was
destroying our inner cities. Then, around 1990, NJ had a big gun-rights
battle, and the state NRA affiliate asked me to be a convention delegate.
Which I did, and became very active in that battle, lobbying the state
legislators and providing testimony at state Senate hearings (I was a DCM
range officer in those days). I editorialized in all of the state
newspapers.

In recent years the Republicans, who used to take the right wing for granted
while they battled Democrats for the center, have become the right-wing's
toadies. I can hardly stand the smell of them. But I hold out hope that
things will change.

--
Ed Huntress