Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is MTS audio a victim of the latest cable company upgrading?

Universal Cable rule # 1 They don't care about audio, or visual quality,
and will always be geared to please the lowest common denominator.

Universal Cable rule # 2 Even if they DO have a high quality signal
available to them, they will compress/mangle it (1080i to 720i, 5.1 to
distorted L-R mono) to save bandwidth.

Universal Cable rule #3 Cable companies don't care if you have a
$10,000 home entertainment center. Can you see a picture? Good!,
and can you hear it? Good!, will always be good enough for them.

Universal Cable rule #4 Charge maximum amount of money for the
poorest choice of channels, with the worst possible signal quality.
Increase rates at will.

I have no idea what "universe" these "universal" rules are part of, but #1
through #3 don't apply to my local Comcast. 1080i images are presented as
1080i, and when I had more-than-basic service (I've had to cut back due to
unemployment), movies and cable-network programs were at least the quality
of BD.

NBC (both network and KING) are always 1080i, and the image quality is a
consistent knock-out.

I'm watching on Pioneer's last 60" KURO.

I've never connected the audio to my main system, so I can't comment on the
sound. I normally listen through a pair of KLH Audio 900B speakers connected
directly to the set, which I bought at Best Buy a few years back for $15 --
for both.