Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Deke[_6_] Deke[_6_] is offline

Default Is MTS audio a victim of the latest cable company upgrading?

"David Farber" wrote in message
I have Charter cable tv. I use the direct analog input to my Sony KV-27V36.
I use the analog signal because I like to be able to use the pip function
on my tv. Over the past few weeks I have noticed that the left channel
audio is very low and distorted, guessing about -30dB as compared to the
right channel, but only while tuned into the local Fox station. To make a
very long story short, the Charter tech comes to my house to tell me that
some tv's don't pick up the stereo signal properly and I should switch my
tv to mono. Huh??? His suggested fix? Use the cable box. I told him I don't
want to use the cable box. I'm happy with less cables, wires, and boxes
going through my system. At some point the tech tells me that all the
analog channels are being broadcast mono but are converted by Charter to a
dual mono signal so both speakers operate. However he says that they
(Charter) are in the process of upgrading the Fox station and are using one
of the stereo channels (supposedly the one that is down 30dB and distorted)
to use for other purposes. Again, huh? I've requested a call back from one
of the people in the Charter office that can give me a more logical
technical explanation. I'm not holding my breath. It's been a week since
the tech's visit here and after many phone calls to Charter and talking to
their friendly support staff, nobody has called me back from their
technical department.

By the way, I did call the local Fox station to see if they were having
transmission problems and I was able to talk to their chief engineer
within 5 MINUTES. He told me their signal was fine and that it was
Charter's responsibility to take their 5.1 signal, decode it properly,
then pass it on to their subscribers.

So, I thought I'd ask the only place left on earth where you can get a
straight answer. That of course is s.e.r. Fellow techs, what the heck is
going on here?

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Universal Cable rule # 1- They don't care about audio, or visual quality,
and will always be geared to please the lowest common denominator.

Universal Cable rule # 2- Even if they DO have a high quality signal
available to them, they will compress/mangle it (1080i to 720i, 5.1 to
distorted L-R mono) to save bandwidth.

Universal Cable rule #3- Cable companies don't care if you have a $10,000
home entertainment center. Can you see a picture? Good!, and can you hear
it?
Good!, will always be good enough for them.

Universal Cable rule #4- Charge maximum amount of money for the poorest
choice of channels, with the worst possible signal quality. Increase rates
at will.