Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_6_] Meat Plow[_6_] is offline

Default Magnetic USB FOB cover?

On Mon, 09 May 2011 13:58:44 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/8/2011 11:08 PM spake thus:

uber-obsessive.. so I did that.. I took it out of my USB box and put it
with pencils.. much obliged

Still wondering what made you think a magnet would affect an EPROM (or
is it EEPROM?) like that in any way. Maybe you're just used to dealing
with magnetic storage media?

Now, if you took the thing with you into a MRI machine, I guess all bets
would be off, but otherwise ...

It's a specif type of EEPROM than can be addressed (read/write) by
blocks. The old EEPROM had to be erased all at once then reprogrammed.
Like the BIOS in a PC. When you update it, the addressable part is
completely erased and then written with fresh data even though it's
just adding some features and replacing some buggy code.

But you are correct. It would take a lot of EMI energy to corrupt data
on a EEPROM.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse