Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Magnetic USB FOB cover?

It seems counterintuitive that the cap to a wooden USB fob handed
out at a trade show snaps on like it is magnetic.. is it?
No risk or erasing it or other media it is near?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2011 17:03:32 +0000, vjp2.at wrote:

It seems counterintuitive that the cap to a wooden USB fob handed out at
a trade show snaps on like it is magnetic.. is it? No risk or erasing it
or other media it is near?

I have an 8 GB USB fob which was handed out to senior company workers
by FABRIS of Canada. It's metal and the cap seems to have a magnetic
attraction to the body of the fob. I see no problem with this as the
media is not erased by magnetism. Also the only attraction seems to be
between the fob and the cap. If you are uber paranoid, toss it in the bin.
Or keep it and keep it isolated from other magnetic media.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

uber-obsessive.. so I did that.. I took it out of my USB box and put it with
pencils.. much obliged

*+-Or keep it and keep it isolated from other magnetic media.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 11, 4:01*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 09 May 2011 13:58:44 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/8/2011 11:08 PM spake thus:

uber-obsessive.. so I did that.. I took it out of my USB box and put it
with pencils.. much obliged

Still wondering what made you think a magnet would affect an EPROM (or
is it EEPROM?) like that in any way. Maybe you're just used to dealing
with magnetic storage media?

Now, if you took the thing with you into a MRI machine, I guess all bets
would be off, but otherwise ...

It's a specif type of EEPROM than can be addressed (read/write) by
blocks. The old EEPROM had to be erased all at once then reprogrammed.
Like the BIOS in a PC. When you update it, the addressable part is
completely erased and then written with fresh data even though it's
just adding some features and replacing some buggy code.

But you are correct. It would take a lot of EMI energy to corrupt data
on a EEPROM.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

the old airport security x-rays used to 'reset' [scramble data]
eeproms ...had a friend learn the hard way on a trip to demo software
in Japan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 8, 10:03*am, wrote:
It seems counterintuitive that the cap to a wooden USB fob handed
out at a trade show snaps on like it is magnetic.. is it?
No risk or erasing it or other media it is near?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* * * * * * * * * *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

depending on the coercivity of the media, 'weak' magnetic fields won't
affect the sotrage much, at all. but those new rare-earth magnets
will do a lot of damage to the data and don't have to get very close.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 May 2011 16:09:59 -0700, Robert Macy wrote:

On May 11, 4:01Â*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

Yep I would consider that a substantial amount more EMI/RFI than a mere
magnetic cap on a modern flash FOB.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 4--The Album Cover HiBob Home Repair 0 May 27th 08 09:55 AM
Magnetic Vent Cover Terry Home Repair 2 July 13th 07 05:21 PM
Magnetic field -- electrical machinery1st, static magnetic field1) [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 November 24th 06 11:32 PM
-- Magnetic motor 1, the static magnetic field 1) Motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 October 3rd 06 02:21 PM
How to tell magnetic stainless? [email protected] Metalworking 18 April 5th 05 03:23 AM