Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Small Motor Seasonal Starting Saga Solved?

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2011 12:45:14 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2011 19:50:31 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I have a lawnmower and a snowblower, both from Honda, and both are hard
to start at the beginning of their season. The lawnmower is the worst
offender, by far, so I'll focus on it.

The redneck would ask "Where yew at?"

Boston, MA area.

Have you tried using non-ethanol premium gas in those? I've heard
that the ethanol attracts moisture and can cause problems.

No non-ethanol gas available in local gas stations. I suppose I could

Weird! Pure-Gas doesn't show it in the list, either.

go to a marina, but that's pretty far.

Yeah, try the marina or the smaller airports. I doubt they contaminate
avgas.

The problem is diurnal changes in temperature pulling moist air into the
gas tank or can, where the moisture condenses into water. We used
DryGas (100% methyl alcohol) to absorb the water and allow it to go
through the engine without problems.

This didn't used to be a problem for my cars or mowers when we had
sealed cans, at least in any state I've ever lived in (AR, CA, AZ, and
OR.)

Only Oregon would be a danger in that list. I don't think I've ever had
the problem either.

And, reading the manual, you'd think that 3 pumps on the primer bulb
would charge the carb. Think again. I crank that puppy 30 times
(briggs mower) before attempting to start it and it goes on the first
pull every time.

No bulb to pump on these engines.

Are you running your carb dry at the end of the season? (I never
have.) Is your choke working properly?

I have never run the carb dry, but given the volatility theory it might
be a good idea. Can't hurt, anyway.

The choke does work properly, now, but has been a problem in the past.
The clamp that holds the throttle cable tends to creep over time.

My Honda 190 pressure washer goes on the third pull after the winter
layup, um, when I remember to turn the switch on.

I'm still using ethanol/gas and having no problems whatsoever with any
of my beasties after 5 months of rain and cold in Oregon. I usually
fill up at the local Fred Meyer grocery store's gas station. They run
a tanker in there a couple/three times a week, so I know it's fresh
gas. I lost a couple MPG when Oregon switched to ethanol blend,
damnit. What a loser fuel _that_ is...

Gasohol costs at least as much energy (and oil) to make as the gasoline
it replaces, so the environmental benefit is unobvious. Making the
alcohol uses about 1/4 to 1/3 of the corn crop, thus raising food prices
worldwide. But someone is making money on this.

Go here and sign the petition: http://pure-gas.org/

Or better, call your congresscritters and tell them to stop wasting your
taxpayer dollars on such things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

Farmers are getting a whole lot more for their corn, edible or not,
because they get even more subsidies for corn as fuel. I recall some
article saying that they're getting paid by the acre, not the bushel,
so some of the corporate farms are phasing out other crops and
planting some corn there, too.

The farmers know what market they are growing stuff for, so they won't
bother making corn intended for ethanol production be food grade.

Gas stations make more profits because it takes 12% more E-10 blend to
go the same distance as pure gas due to the loss of BTU output.
(Where's the supposed energy savings, folks?)

I'm not sure I believe this, as prices are set by the open market, and
are largely set by the world oil market.

Liberal politicians get points and votes from the eco terrorists (who
haven't yet figured out it's a net loss of energy) for "going green".

And on and on, ad nauseum.

I think Congress figured this out a long time ago. But nobody wants to
take the ag lobby on.

And the Great Cull -still- hasn't started...

I can't see the population taking to the streets over ethanol subsidies,
no matter how foolish. Historically, it took famine to cause the
population to rise in revolt. But our problem is too much food.

Joe Gwinn